Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee
Community Foundation of Middle Tennessee
Overview: We are seeking an experienced Controller with expertise in nonprofit fund accounting to join our community foundation. This role entails overseeing financial operations, ensuring compliance with nonprofit accounting standards, and providing strategic financial leadership to support our foundation’s mission. The ideal candidate will possess a strong background in nonprofit financial management, exceptional leadership abilities, and a commitment to transparency and accountability in our organization’s fiscal practices.
This position offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to a dynamic organization committed to making a positive impact in the community through stringent financial stewardship and nonprofit fund management. If you possess a strategic mindset and a passion for nonprofit financial leadership, we encourage you to apply.
- Lead and supervise all aspects of nonprofit fund accounting, including managing restricted and unrestricted funds, endowments, and grant disbursements.
- Implement and maintain comprehensive fund accounting systems to accurately track contributions, allocations, and expenditures.
- Ensure adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) specific to nonprofit organizations.
- Produce precise and timely financial reports, statements, and forecasts for the Board of Directors, senior management, and external stakeholders, aligning with nonprofit reporting requirements (Form 990, etc.).
- Ensure compliance with nonprofit accounting regulations, tax laws, and reporting standards.
- Coordinate annual audits and manage interactions with auditors to address audit queries effectively.
- Conduct detailed financial analyses to identify trends, risks, and opportunities for maximizing financial efficiency and sustainability.
- Collaborate with leadership to provide financial guidance, supporting strategic decision-making related to grants, investments, and fundraising efforts.
- Develop and enforce robust internal controls to mitigate financial risks and maintain the integrity of financial data.
- Stay updated on nonprofit compliance issues, ensuring the foundation’s adherence to regulatory requirements and best practices.
- Mentor and guide the finance team, fostering a culture of excellence, collaboration, and professional growth.
- Collaborate across departments to support grant management, fundraising activities, and strategic initiatives.
- Report directly to the CFO, providing regular updates on financial matters and contributing to high-level financial strategies.
- Manage and lead the accounting team, ensuring effective delegation of tasks, performance evaluation, and professional development.
- Assume complete responsibility for coordinating and working with auditors for the annual audit and Form 990 filing.
- Ensure all necessary documentation and information are available and facilitate a smooth audit process.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field; CPA or advanced degree preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in accounting and financial management within a nonprofit organization or foundation.
- In-depth understanding of nonprofit accounting principles, fund accounting, and compliance requirements (FASB standards, Form 990, etc.).
- Proven experience overseeing audits and interacting with external auditors in a nonprofit setting.
- Advanced MS Excel skills.
- Outstanding analytical, communication, and leadership capabilities.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced nonprofit environment while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in an open office environment
- Comfortable in a work setting that is open to the community and hosts frequent gatherings
- Dedication to the mission and values of the community foundation.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date Posted: December 22, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 01/31/2023
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:30am - 4:30pm