Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
Volunteer Program Specialist
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee
JOB TITLE: Volunteer Program Specialist
REPORTS TO: Sr. Manager of Enrollment & Matching
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Part-time, Non-Exempt
LOCATION: Nashville, TN
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
WE ARE AN AGENCY THAT CELEBRATES DIFFERENCES
We show each other dignity through our partnerships, decisions, and language. We intentionally engage, represent, and partner with our diverse communities. We demonstrate our values by learning together with staff, board, volunteers, youth, families, and investors to think and act with sensitivity and intentionality. Driven by the voice of our stakeholders, our agency develops responsive and respectful programming and builds strategic and thoughtful alliances.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks a Volunteer Program Specialist who will thrive in a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting more youth through high quality, 1-to-1 mentoring. In this role, you will support and strengthen mentoring relationships between youth and positive adult mentors. Your coaching and guidance will help empower and inspire youth to reach their full, inherent potential, especially youth of color who are disproportionately impacted by systemic barriers. Primary responsibilities will include providing strong communication and customer service to prospective volunteers and educating them about the Community-Based program through orientations.
Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be organized, be able to provide a positive customer experience, be able to multi-task, and have a passion for improving the lives of young people and our underrepresented youth. This team member will be passionate about and able to engage mentors and community partners from diverse communities, especially within communities of color. Evening and some weekend hours are required. People from the communities we serve are especially encouraged to apply. This is a part-time position requiring approximately 25 hours per week.
Day to day:
- Serves as a liaison between the recruitment team and programs team; specifically, identifying best practices and ensuring a smooth “flow” from inquiry to enrollment.
- Providing high-level customer service to all volunteers during the enrollment and matching process.
- Confirms attendance and manages the rescheduling and cancellation of all program orientations for potential volunteers.
- Facilitates bi-weekly community-based program orientations, held both in-person and virtually.
- Creates and sends out a monthly check-in email to all volunteers currently waiting to be matched.
- Assists enrollment staff with collecting volunteer references, as needed.
- Serves as a back-up trainer for any volunteer orientations within the organization, as needs arise.
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate and detailed documentation and database records according to Big Brothers Big Sisters standards.
- Work schedule includes regular evenings and one Saturday a month to best meet the needs of our volunteers.
- Participate in professional training as provided by the agency and the National office to achieve maximum development of professional skills when required.
- Learn and perform other program functions dependent on departmental needs.
This Job May Be For You…..
- Youth-serving experience, especially working with youth of color and/or from marginalized communities
- Passion for supporting youth through strengths based strategies
- Understanding of issues/barriers that impact children and families from underserved populations
- Belief in the power of mentoring relationships
- Celebrates diversity
- Ability to work remotely and comfortable utilizing latest technologies.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with the ability to work independently, as well as with a team
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and effectively manage shifting priorities and responsibilities
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills reflecting outstanding customer service, both in-person and by telephone
- Ability to think critically, effectively provide responsive coaching, and draw solid conclusions based on information provided
- Comfortable engaging in challenging conversations
Additionally, we’d love…
- Effective group presentation skills
- Driven to help youth reach their full potential
- Consistent desire to seek out new and more effective methods to support programming
- Understanding of/experience with youth mentoring
- Familiarity with Positive Youth Development strategies
- Spanish fluency
Relevant youth-serving experience or a Bachelor’s degree/college coursework in Social Work or a related field. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Outlook, and Excel. Must have a reliable car, valid driver’s license and meet state required automobile insurance minimums.
This is a part-time position and not eligible for benefits. All Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee team members are offered –
- Training & development programs
- Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Flexible work schedule with a hybrid work environment
- Professional resume, LinkedIn profile, and headshot
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employee must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies necessary to perform the job’s essential duties and responsibilities. They should not be regarded as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSMT may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the organization’s needs.
How to Apply
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Your Name – Volunteer Program Specialist” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
BBBSMT values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages all genders, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. BBBSMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
- Date Posted: February 24, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth