Volunteer and Book Mobile Coordinator
Book’em is seeking a full-time Volunteer and Book Mobile Coordinator to join our committed team – someone who is passionate about books, literacy, and children/teens and can help us provide meaningful volunteer experiences for people of all ages and create and implement our new book mobile program to benefit those we serve. At Book’em, we work hard, have fun, and believe in work/life balance. We encourage and celebrate diversity and are an equal opportunity employer.
The mission of Book’em is to create a more literate Nashville and ignite children’s passion for reading through book ownership and enthusiastic volunteers. We envision a future in Nashville where all children own books and know first-hand the joy and value of reading. For more information about Book’em, please visit www.bookem-kids.org.
This position is in person. The schedule is primarily between 9 and 5 Monday through Friday. In order to accommodate volunteer schedules and book bus events, some evenings and weekends will be required with advance notice.
If you are looking for a place to use your skills to make a difference for Nashville’s youth, please consider Book’em.
To provide meaningful volunteer experiences that benefit those we serve, interact and communicate effectively with volunteers, coordinate all administrative functions related to volunteers, create, implement, and coordinate our new Book Bus Program to benefit those we serve, and collaborate with staff to fulfill our mission. The Volunteer and Book Mobile Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director and works extensively with all staff.
Duties and Responsibilities – Volunteer Coordination
- Recruit, place, train, coordinate, supervise, and recognize individual volunteers and volunteer groups to support vital daily operations, programs, community relations, and donor cultivation.
- Match volunteers to opportunities that suit their skill sets and interests, and ensure they understand their responsibilities and receive the proper training.
- Work directly with individual volunteers and volunteer groups while they are performing their volunteer duties.
- Communicate with staff regarding volunteer scheduling, needs, and expectations.
- Create and post social media content that promotes volunteer opportunities, volunteers, and volunteer groups.
- Maintain up-to-date volunteer database, logging total volunteers, hours, and more.
- Develop and implement appropriate recognition and thank you processes and events for volunteers.
- Maintain volunteer job descriptions, policies, protocol, and standards.
- Represent Book’em at various community events and speaking engagements to communicate volunteer opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities – Book Mobile Coordination
- Develop and implement the new book mobile program at Book’em to provide access to literacy resources to the community in areas where economic, social, and transportation barriers exist.
- Manage the maintenance needs, logistics, book selections, scheduling, execution, evaluation, and all aspects of the book bus program and book mobile visits to provide young people, educators, and volunteers with meaningful literacy experiences and meet goals of the program.
- Drive the book bus to scheduled appointments, events, and visits.
- Initiate, plan, and conduct or oversee age-appropriate literacy activities during scheduled book mobile events.
- Perform annual and on-going assessments of projects to measure outcomes.
- Prepare, maintain and analyze reports and records for assigned projects in accordance with grant requirements.
- Create and post social media content that promotes the book mobile program.
Duties and Responsibilities – Other
- Maintain working relationships that ensure the success of Book’em. This includes maintaining positive interpersonal relationships with partners, donors, volunteers, and staff.
- Assist with operations, technology, phones, marketing, office functions, books, fundraising, and other duties as needed; and assist other staff members and board of directors as needed.
- Work with other Book’em staff to meet all goals as outlined in strategic plan, foundation, and/or other agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong project planning, time management, team management, and organizational skills.
- Excellent English language skills: oral, written, reading, as well as strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and proactively without daily instruction, as well as ability to work well with a team.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse population of volunteers, educators, business leaders, and individuals.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and social media skills.
- Ability to compile and analyze data, meet deadlines, and handle details well.
- Proficient or advanced use of Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Publisher and ability to quickly learn other software programs.
- Comfortable driving a large vehicle (short bus), which requires a regular driver’s license (not CDL).
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance is required. Use of personal vehicle will be required at times.
Education and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to three years of work experience in volunteer coordination, children’s literacy/books, project management, communications, non-profit, or related field.
Environmental Conditions and Physical Demands
- Above moderate physical activity.
- Manual dexterity to reach/handle items, work with fingers and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds.
- Employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb, and balance.
- Ability to drive a large vehicle.
- Final candidate must pass a thorough background check.
- Full time position: 40 hours per week, primarily during normal weekday business hours (8am-5pm Monday through Friday) with some early mornings, evenings, and weekends required.
- Some remote work possible, but will be primarily in person.
Pay Rate and Benefits
- Hourly rate between $15.00 and $16.00.
- Position is considered an hourly employee working full-time.
- No health/medical benefits are available through Book’em.
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation, and personal time included.
- Opportunity to work with a talented and dedicated team and to make a difference.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter describing how you are qualified for this position and why you are interested in it and your resume to Melissa Spradlin at email@example.com.
- Date Posted: March 15, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 05/01/2023
- Salary Range: $31,000-$33,000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F, 9:00am - 5:00pm