Vice President of Communications
Vice President of Communications
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
The Vice President of Communications is a member of the senior management team and is responsible for creating high-level visibility for the Nashville Symphony’s activities, mission, vision, and values. This individual enhances the organization’s local, national, and global reputations, supports the institution’s branding, revenue generation, and audience development efforts, and ensures communication of the institution’s story.
The Vice President takes the lead on communications to all key internal and external stakeholders and, in close coordination with colleagues, drives heightened awareness externally through traditionally owned and earned media channels (public relations, newsletters, program book, website, and social media) and emerging communication technology mediums.
The Communications Department ensures that all departments have the tools they need to represent the institution in a compelling and coordinated fashion. As such, the VP of Communications oversees the team responsible for the fulfillment of these tools and for creating and maintaining the organization’s public image. The team supports and makes visible all personalities and aspects of the Nashville Symphony, including but not limited to concerts, special events, artistic leadership, musicians, artistic and audience development initiatives, education and community engagement programs, administrative and Board leadership, and fundraising campaigns and events.
The VP of Communications supervises the Director of Communications, Director of Digital and Graphics, Art Director, and Social Media Manager and fulfills supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Leads the organization’s communications strategy to fulfill the organization’s strategic objectives.
- Serves as the primary media contact for the organization.
- Provides leadership for key institutional communication objectives.
- Oversees and supervises the Communications Department setting objectives for team members consistent with the strategic framework and linked to performance outcomes.
- Attends concerts and events, cultivating and fully assisting critics and media partners, serving as an advocate for the organization among key stakeholders.
- Embraces the Nashville Symphony’s commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and actively supports the organization’s mission to welcome and serve everyone in our community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, English, music, or a related field preferred
- Minimum of five years experience in the communications profession, preferably in the nonprofit sector; minimum of three years of supervisory experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication, planning organizational, and public relations skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to act independently with community leaders
- Knowledge of and previous experience working in classical music or the performing arts preferred
Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, 403b Retirement Plan
How to Apply
Please apply at SmartRecruiters:
- Date Posted: February 9, 2024
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 04/08/2024
- Salary Range: $115,000-$130,000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk, Variable hours due to evening events