Adventure Science Center
TRIP Program Specialist
Adventure Science Center
Position Title: TRIP (Tennessee Rural Impact Project) Program Specialist
Department: Learning and Outreach
Reports To: Learning & Outreach Manager
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt, part-time, working <30 hours per week
Hourly Rate: $18.00/hour
The TRIP Program Specialist will work with educators from six of TN’s most exciting and renowned science centers and museums to create and distribute unique, educative activities and materials. The TRIP Program Specialist along with the TRIP team will culminate a three-year grant, working to build new programs and collaborative techniques with rural communities and schools around the state.
The TRIP team you will work closely with is a friendly, knowledgeable, creative, collaborative, mission-driven group of informal educators who are passionate and excited about the work they do and the partnerships they foster. Working with these individuals will offer you invaluable professional development opportunities as well as open doors to resources and connections that will amplify your informal education portfolio.
This position will coordinate with TRIP team members to create, organize, edit, and finesse program deliverables like curriculum & exploration cards, virtual programs, and teacher workshops. The programs you will help bring to life will contribute to the STEM education and enlightenment of students, families, teachers, and community members of our dedicated TRIP county partners.
Some things you’ll need to be able to do:
- Have a passion for science, learning, and play;
- Be an effective communicator and collaborator;
- Organize, edit, and disseminate TRIP content and deliverables;
- Take initiative while working independently or as part of a team both in person and virtually;
- Work on various days and times of the week, including some evenings & weekends
Sounds like this job could be for you. Apply now or read on for the formal details.
TRIP Program Specialist will work with Adventure Science Center staff and the Science Alliance (a cohort of Tennessee science museums) TRIP team members to collaborate, create, and deliver program content. TRIP is a federally-funded project working with specific rural communities and schools, focusing on the K-2nd grade cohort. This position requires strong communication skills, a commitment to producing high-quality programs, and a passion for learning & accurately communicating the principles of STEM.
The TRIP Program Specialist is a federally funded role, with an anticipated end date of August 2024. An extension of the grant is possible, but not guaranteed.
- Coordinate, compile, and edit content for TRIP program deliverables
- Meet and coordinate with TRIP Alliance team members and ASC staff
- Participate and contribute to bi-weekly TRIP leadership meetings
- Virtual Programs – collecting footage from the Alliance team and editing virtual footage as needed
- Work with the TRIP team to create website content
- TRIP Program card design and creation – curriculum and exploration cards (customize graphics based on theme, compile content – assess readability, grade-specific, have an eye for engaging content)
- Strive to improve and maintain individual science literacy
- Be a liaison between and among Science Alliance program team members to coordinate TRIP content
- Assist in facilitating professional development with teachers involved in the TRIP project
- Purchase, organize, and track supplies orders in alignment with project timeline
- Represent the Adventure Science Center in an appropriate, professional manner
- Other duties as deemed necessary by program need and/or management
- Basic knowledge of customer service principles, techniques systems, and standards
- Interact on all phone calls, emails, etc. with a positive, helpful, courteous, respectful, and professional attitude
Other Functions and Responsibilities
- Attend quarterly staff meetings and weekly educational team meetings
- Perform core operational functions of visitor safety and wayfinding as needed
- Assist during emergency and evacuation situations
QUALIFICATIONS / TRAITS
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: individuals with training, experience, and/or interest in science education, or project coordination may be given preference
- Experience creating and teaching inquiry-based hands-on STEM programs preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, and communication skills
- Must possess a valid TN driver’s license, the ability to drive to off-site locations, and maintain a satisfactory driving record
- Enthusiasm for science, science education, and community engagement
- Reliable, collaborative team player
- Pleasant disposition, customer-service-oriented
- Proactive communicator, engaging other departments and institutions in project planning and execution
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Professional appearance and demeanor
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Ability to juggle multiple projects effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize daily operations and adapt to changes as necessary
- Knowledge of current technology to assist in creating dynamic and engaging content
- Knowledge of current, best pedagogical practices to best serve TN’s students
- Understanding of the importance and value of working as part of a larger cross-functional and intra-departmental team in a professional, courteous, and collaborative manner
- MS Office skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Canvas and Vimeo experience
- We are playful and passionate experimenters
- We think big, embrace risk, and evolve our ideas in order to lead.
- We are collaborative with each other and our whole community.
- We foster diversity, curiosity, and creativity to make our experience unique.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Free onsite parking
- Complimentary membership to Adventure Science Center
- Free or discounted admission to local venues including The Nashville Zoo, The First Art Museum, Nashville Shores, Cheekwood Estate and Gardens, and more!
- Eligibility for Public Student Loan Forgiveness
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Electronic submission is required for all materials. To expedite processing, please place “TRIP Program Coordinator” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Adventure Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Date Posted: October 2, 2023
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 10/09/2023
- Salary Range: $18.00
- Working Hours: Varies, up to 30 hours/week; Some weekends and evenings