Teacher (ARCH Academy)
We are looking for you! Do you want to be a part of the team that transforms lives? Cumberland Heights is more than a campus on 177 acres, it’s a community. Our mission is to provide the highest quality care possible for persons and families who are at risk for or who are suffering from the disease of chemical dependency. Treatment encompasses the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual dimensions of recovery by offering a safe, loving, and healing environment, combining professional excellence and the principles of the Twelve Steps.
The Teacher supports Cumberland Heights’ and ARCH Academy’s mission of transforming lives and giving hope and healing to those affected by alcohol and drug addiction and provides classroom instruction for multiple grade levels (8-12) of adolescents, ages 14-18, in a non-traditional, alternative classroom setting. This position is responsible for managing student records, overseeing student progress, goal setting, and ensuring that individual learning plans and curriculum are followed. This position ensures that all educational services provided are in compliance with the Tennessee Department of Education Rules concerning Nonpublic Schools. This position reports directly to the Academic Coordinator at ARCH Academy, which is an accredited Category I-SP nonpublic school in Tennessee.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
1. Provides year-round, multi-grade level instruction (from grades 8-12) to primary and extended care patients participating in residential rehabilitation at an alcohol and drug addiction treatment center.
2. Communicate and consult with the ARCH Academy Academic Coordinator about student achievement, behavior, and development while in a treatment setting.
3. Works closely with the Academic Coordinator in planning, record keeping, facilitation, and delivery of curriculum to students.
4. Oversees student progress and ensures that students remain on track academically.
5. Reports student progress, maintains up-to-date records of student progress, and delivers instruction according to appropriate grade level placement, and when applicable, IEP/504 plan expectations.
6. Assists with student assessments and in identifying the learning needs of students.
7. Assists in the development, selection, and delivery of classroom materials, considering factors such as individual needs, abilities, learning levels, and physical or mental limitations of students.
8. Accommodates the varied learning styles and developmental levels within the self-contained classroom setting.
9. Arrange and adjust assistive technology and equipment utilized by students in the classroom to assist in meeting individual needs.
10. Maintains and provides lesson plans and program planning for students with special needs, when applicable.
11. Manages behavior in ways that motivate the learning process and the development of self-esteem in conjunction with the Twelve Steps philosophy and co-occurring mental health issues.
12. Ensures that a welcoming, safe, supportive, and healing environment is maintained for each patient/student and family throughout the continuum of care.
13. Participates in discussions about academics for students during treatment team meetings, documents pertinent academic and/or clinical information when needed, and assists in the development of academic goals for our internal stage system for students.
14. Participates in the evaluation process by the Academic Coordinator and Executive Director as provided by the Tennessee Department of Education rules for Nonpublic Schools.
15. Participates in training, feedback, and daily supervision of students in primary and extended care programs.
16. Participates in training and/or professional development as described by the Tennessee Department of Education and/or ARCH Academy/Cumberland Heights Foundation.
17. Completes any and all requirements necessary to maintain an active teaching license with the State of Tennessee for grades 7-1
18. Recommends ways to improve the quality and delivery of services.
19. Maintains confidentiality of company and patient information and follows all company policies.
20. Reacts productively to change.
21. Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree required. Current Tennessee Teaching license with certification to teach grades 7-12 required. Specialization in math and/or science is strongly preferred. Special Education endorsement is preferred but not required. Minimum two or more years experience in the teaching field or related environment preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
– Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and push/pull up to 20 pounds
– Must be able to speak and articulate clearly in English
– Must be able to see, hear, and move quickly enough to provide for the safety and instructional needs of the patients
– Must be able to sit, walk, stand, and reach for extended periods
– Must possess excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, judgment, and analytical skills
– Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills
– Must be able to use computers, keyboards, software programs, and other related classroom equipment
– Must be able to handle multiple student issues and needs and manage various projects throughout the day within a self-contained classroom setting
– Must have a general understanding of and abide by Tennessee high school graduation requirements, Tennessee Department of Education Rules for Nonpublic Schools, and guidelines for Title I funds and/or various grant funds
– Must possess excellent organizational and time management skills for managing student records and individual learning plans and communicating student progress to all stakeholders
– Must be able to motivate students in the learning process while managing behaviors in ways that help the student grow and develop in healthy ways in conjunction with the Twelve Steps philosophy
– Must possess knowledge of and ability to apply information regarding age, cultural background, and population-specific characteristics to patients in a self-contained classroom setting as well as a therapeutic environment
– Must be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees and be able to communicate effectively with all stakeholders
– Must be able to maintain a therapeutic environment using a variety of behavior management skills, including the ability to de-escalate a person in crisis in a calm and supportive manner
– Must be able to become certified and maintain certification in Handle With Care training, CPR/AED, First Aid, and any additional future requirements
– Must have knowledge or attain knowledge of the Twelve Step philosophy with the ability to apply information regarding specific characteristics to the self-contained classroom setting
– If in recovery, one (1) year of abstinence is required, with five years or more strongly preferred
The position is in an office/classroom setting that involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions. Position may have direct contact with volatile persons who require additional safety precautions. This position has HIPAA clearance in regard to the medical records of patients in assigned areas.
Cumberland Heights Foundation offers a comprehensive benefits program, which includes:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision effective 1st day of the month following 28 days of employment
- Employer Contribution for Health Saving Account or Health Reimbursement Account
- 401K with Company match up to 5% after 90 days of employment
- Paid Time Off (PTO) accrual beginning day (1) one and up to 20 days of PTO the first year
How to Apply
- Date Posted: October 24, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 11/01/2023
- Salary Range: Depends on Experience
- Working Hours: 40hrs/wk; M-F