AFRICA UNIVERSITY DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
The Africa University Development Office is seeking a Staff Accountant and invites inquiries and applications for the position. The Africa University Development Office (AUDO) was established September 1, 1992. It is housed in Nashville, TN and is affiliated with The United Methodist Church. One of the primary goals of AUDO is to raise, maintain, invest, and distribute with accountability, the resources for Africa University.
Located in Zimbabwe, the development of Africa University is a consequence of the growth of United Methodism in Africa. The mission of Africa University is to provide quality education within a Pan-African context through which persons can acquire general and professional knowledge and skills, grow in spiritual maturity, develop sound moral values, ethics and leadership qualities.
The Development Office seeks an experienced accounting professional with a proven record of assisting a finance department with general accounting processes and controls. The preferred candidate must demonstrate superior accounting skills and must be able to collaborate effectively with key constituents of The United Methodist Church and Africa University. This role is required to be in the office Monday through Friday, during core working hours.
- Assists with general accounting processes and controls including month end close, account reconciliations, financial ad hoc analysis, accounts payable, invoicing, preparation of journal entries, audit participation and various special projects.
- Reviews invoices and processes check requests in the Accounting software (Great Plains), including researching and resolving accounting discrepancies.
- Oversees accurate and appropriate recording of revenues and expenses.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information and prepares accurate and timely financial reports and statements. Reconciles all accounts monthly, bi-monthly, and at year-end. Oversees accurate and appropriate recording of revenue and expenses,
- Prepares for financial audits and assists with auditing inquiries. Assist with the AU Board Development, Finance Committee, and Advisory Development Meeting. Prepare various reports for the President & CEO and Director of Finance.
- Serves as backup to the Office Coordinator in answering the telephone, logging in gifts, and making donor calls.
- Collaborates with Director of Planned Giving and Director of Communications to update on AU finances for promotions.
- Prepares and processes travel expense reports for the President & CEO and Associate Vice Chancellor for Institutional Advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required.
- Three to Five years’ general accounting experience is required, experience in a development office is strongly preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
- Proven experience with institutional advancement software required, experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT development software strongly preferred.
- Basic accounting knowledge; strong computer skills including experience with spreadsheets; outstanding analytical skills; excellent attention to detail; good organization skills.
- Experience using accounting software is required, Dynamics/Great Plains is strongly preferred.
- Must have prior experience using MS Office products, including Share Point, Word, and Excel.
- Exceptional understanding of accounting rules and procedures including the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated experience of funds development and fund accounting.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Functional knowledge of the United Methodist Church.
Medical, Dental and Vision plans available.
How to Apply
Go to link below to apply:
Closing Date: February 10, 2023
Africa University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women, and individuals with disabilities. All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully completing background, reference, and other applicable checks.
No Staffing Agencies or Recruitment Firms
- Date Posted: January 11, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Education