Sr. Director of Development & Communications
Who We Are
Monroe Harding’s mission is to change young people’s lives. Our cause is to ensure that foster care youth and other vulnerable young people build a solid foundation of strengths that position them for success in adulthood. Our cause and mission are accomplished through trauma and resiliency informed programs and services in foster care, supportive housing, clinical emotional and mental health support services, and education, career development, and life skills support services.
What We Value
Optimism – We celebrate and encourage the good in each other. We create an environment in which people can have fun, express gratitude, feel uplifted, explore their passions and increase their resiliency.
Inclusion – Thru a lens of respect, we advocate for our families, our youth and each other by creating a sense of belonging, understanding and value for the uniqueness of each individual.
Curiosity – We are committed to creating a learning environment that seeks knowledge, looks to the future and goes beyond the status quo.
Collaboration – We believe that people who are committed to open communication, a willingness to help and working together as a team create a safe environment and a culture of excellence.
Personal Accountability – We empower one another to be our best selves. By showing up, listening and providing thoughtful feedback we create a culture that allows for self-care.
Who We Are Looking For
The Senior Director of Development & Communications is a member of the agency’s senior management team and is responsible under the direction of the President & CEO for planning, coordinating, and implementing the agency’s development, marketing, communications, and volunteer support services efforts. Development efforts include special events, annual appeals, and church, corporate, individual, in-kind, and private foundation giving. Specific duties include directly building and maintaining donor relationships; leading and training staff and volunteers in donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship best practices; supervising assigned staff; assisting with planning of Annual Report, annual fundraisers and other events; ensuring that budgeted goals are met; and, securing funding for special non-recurring projects..
Marketing and communications efforts include raising public awareness and telling the story of Monroe Harding by creating strong, compelling messaging and collateral materials for use by staff and volunteers in their communications about the organization and in marketing and fundraising initiatives for all the agency’s programs and services to create a cohesive brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Maintains oversight and actively participates in all fundraising activities including major giving, grants, special events, direct mail appeals, corporate partnership initiatives.
- Serves as a public representative of the agency, including cultivating relationships with community members, including prospective volunteers and supporters to build awareness of and commitment to Monroe Harding’s work.
- Leads agency’s efforts to build and maintain donor relationships.
- Develops strategies for existing and prospective donors to effectively move them through a meaningful cycle of giving.
- Oversees the development, submission, and retention of grant request for funds from private foundations, corporations, and churches.
- Informs potential contributors of special needs of institution, and encourages individuals, corporations, and foundations to establish or contribute to special funds through endowments, trusts, donations of gifts-in-kind, or bequests, conferring with attorneys to establish methods of transferring funds to benefit both donors and the agency.
- In conjunction with the CEO, develop and implement an integrated external strategic communications plan to advance brand identity, broaden awareness of programs and services, increase the visibility and priority of programs among key stakeholders.
- Create marketing/public relations/communications strategy that supports and is consistent with MH’s cause, mission, and vision.
- Create and communicate MH’s core messages to ensure organization consistency.
- Proactively provide innovation across all communication vehicles and provide competitive insight into communications and branding strategies.
- Develop in conjunction with CEO, a marketing and communications budget, monitor its use and be accountable for ROI and end results.
- Oversee the development and management of all online and social media communications vehicles.
Marketing & Communications Publications
- Develop a strategy, in conjunction with CEO, to broaden awareness of the organization and its mission.
- Set standards for and create a cohesive image and message for print and all offline communication vehicles including but not limited to:
- Annual Report
- Brochures and information kits
- Forms, flyers, promotions and other collateral materials
- Ensure that all promotional materials are aligned with company’s brand identity.
- Communicate MH’s core messages to ensure organizational consistency.
- Develop focused marketing initiatives, in conjunction with CEO and Program Sr. Directors/Directors, to support each program’s goals and needs, while keeping a consistent message for the organization.
- Oversee creative design for the organization’s marketing & promotional materials and fundraising campaigns to ensure consistency and heighten impact.
- Oversee production of video content
- Write content for radio and print ads, in conjunction with CEO.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities for advertising.
Volunteer Support Services
- Oversee all volunteer recruitment and retention efforts and work to ensure volunteer opportunities coincide with program needs.
- Develop measurable goals for volunteer services.
- Partner with churches, businesses, organizations, and individuals to create meaningful relationships and opportunities for involvement.
What we expect in a Sr Director of Development & Communications at Monroe Harding
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or business or 5 years of experience with increasing responsibility in nonprofit fundraising.
- Must embrace the mission of Monroe Harding
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with planned giving programs
- Motivating Others
- Action Oriented
- Integrity and Trust
- Political Savvy
- Written and Verbal Communication
Applicants must pass thorough background check and drug screen. Must have valid Tennessee driver’s license.
Additionally, The Diana Screen® is administered to all potential applicants to help ensure that ethical boundaries between children and adults are maintained. At Monroe Harding, the safety and protection of the youth who have been entrusted to us is our #1 priority.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance available (90-100% coverage paid by Monroe Harding for the employee)
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Generous paid time off package
- 401k (Monroe Harding will match up to 4%)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Professional development and training
How to Apply
Think you are interested in joining our team? Please apply online at monroeharding.org
- Date Posted: May 22, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Social / Human Services