Society of St. Andrew
South-Central TN Satellite Area Gleaning Coordinator
Society of St. Andrew
To execute the ministry of Society of St. Andrew in feeding hungry people through recovery of nutritious food that would otherwise be wasted. The Area Coordinator position is established to further the mission of SoSA in a specific region of Tennessee. This coordinator is supported through the Tennessee Regional office and assumes responsibilities for various aspects for SoSA’s ministry in a local area. This is a seasonal, part time position.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
Coordinate gleaning efforts in the Southeast TN area, including Giles, Lincoln, Lawrence, Moore, Marshall, and Franklin counties. This may include small gleanings in pickup trucks or dump truck loads up to 12,000 lbs.
Recruit volunteers willing to distribute gleaned produce:
– Work with current gleaning organizers and participating groups to maintain involvement.
– Contact area churches, civic groups and individuals to gain involvement.
– Maintain an up-to-date list of all volunteers.
Find agencies, whether in the immediate area or in other parts of the state, willing to accept the produce. Make delivery arrangements for the produce to be received. Develop a network of local agencies helping those in need.
Correspond with volunteers, SoSA Staff, agencies and other interested people, to:
– Send updates and directions to volunteers
– Send thank you notes to gleaners after each event
– Coordinate any local press coverage of SoSA gleanings
– Provide clear instructions to gleaners, answering any questions about the program and provide follow up information
– This includes ensuring waivers are signed.
– Keep the growers informed of activities and results from gleaning events
– Keep in regular contact with SoSA staff, expressing achievements, opportunities and problems
– Communicate well with all third party agencies to support continued relationship building
Keep accurate records of all gleanings via Monthly Gleaning Reports. Maintain a list for each event of volunteers with their name, address, phone number, church or group name and email address. Keep an accurate timesheet, which is passed on to the Program Coordinator twice a month, recording hours worked and work accomplished
The Area Coordinator should be a creative and motivated individual with excellent organizational and communication skills. Typing skills and access to a personal computer are helpful, as is having access to email. Since this position is established in a location away from the SoSA Tennessee Regional office, Coordinator needs to be a “self-starter” in developing and carrying out program needs and objectives. Some physical labor when leading gleaning events can be expected. Travel throughout the region is also expected and access to a vehicle is required.
Hours per week: 15 on average (will vary from week to week, some weeks a little more, some weeks a little less). Position requires working Saturday during gleaning season and (occasionally) Sunday for church visits. The contract will run from June 1 until October 31. The maximum number of hours for the contract is 360.
Monthly compensation: Paychecks will be issued twice a month from the SoSA National office (on the 15th and the last day of the month) and the hourly rate will be $15. This is a part time position. Federal taxes and Social Security will be withheld. The area coordinator will be paid for hours worked and a timesheet will be submitted to the Program Coordinator twice a month.
Mileage allotment: Up to $900 for contract period with 58.5 cents per authorized mile
(not to exceed 2,142 total miles during one contract period).
Additional expenses: approved supplies, postage, etc. with receipts require
How to Apply
Email resume to Cecelie Eiler firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date Posted: February 7, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 06/01/2023
- Salary Range: $15/hr
- Working Hours: Flexible