Production Stage Manager
Position Title: Production Stage Manager
Reports To: Director of Production;
Direct Reports: 1
Created: January 2023
Full-time salary exempt
Salary Range: $50,000 – $55,000
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Reporting to the Director of Production, the Production Stage Manager will be responsible for management and facilitation of the NB production process from maintenance of schedules, Artistic collaboration, and management of resources for Nashville Ballet and School of Nashville Ballet productions and special events.
The Production Stage Manager will collaborate closely with other staff members in Production, Development, Marketing, Administration, the School of Nashville Ballet, and the Director of Facilities and must be able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Listens well, shares work-related information, is open to others’ perspectives, work styles, and methods. Willingly collaborates and cooperates with others in the organization. Develops successful working relationships at all levels and values these relationships as critical to effective work. Must be able to express ideas clearly, both verbally and in writing.
Must be reliable and have a commitment to punctuality. Must extend courtesy, friendliness, and overall respect to all the above. This role will collaborate with other staff and/or departments. Attention to detail is extremely important for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Production Stage Manager for all Nashville Ballet productions including Main Company, Second Company, Community Engagement, Special Events, and School of Nashville Ballet productions
- Serve as backstage facilitator and supervisor responsible for seeing that all elements of productions come together to achieve the artistic vision (with Director of Production and Technical Director)
- Communication & coordination with Director of Production, Artistic Staff, Wardrobe, over hire production crew and IATSE Stagehands and Dancers
- Facilitation of studio rehearsals
- Communication of rehearsal props needs with NB crew heads and prop supervision while in studio for rehearsals
- Communication of rehearsal costume needs with NB Wardrobe Director and supervision of costumes when in rehearsals
- Studio support for the eight Martin Center studios such as floor cleaning, floor tape maintenance & spike marks and A-V Equipment Security
- Support for in studio rehearsal viewing with AV needs i.e. Zoom, live streaming
- Ability to follow a musical score and/or read music.
- Cue sheets/Running Lists: Rail, Scenic, Prop, Deck Electric, Pyro/FX, sound, Quick Change (with Wardrobe)
- Maintaining Production Schedules for each program of the season. (with Director of Production)
- Backstage signage: running orders, timing sheets, directional arrows (with Company Relations Manager)
- Supervision of NB crew heads, IATSE Crew and Wardrobe in theatre (with Technical Director during the full run and Director of Production when needed after opening)
- Knowledge and understanding of AGMA and IATSE contract language.
- Scheduling and supervision of SM Interns from local universities as they provide studio support and assist in the theater for the various NB productions.
- Performance venue staff liaison once the show is open (with Technical Director)
- Supervision of technical rehearsals and performances within contract guidelines (Dancer, IATSE & Musicians’)
- Rehearsal/Performance Show Cueing/ Documentation
- Daily check-ins with the Rehearsal Directors
- Attendance in studio rehearsal in order to support Artistic needs. Sending out of rehearsal notes or reports as needed
- Take notes at production and design meetings and distribute to all involved in the production
- Technical and dress rehearsal and performance reports for all productions.
- Playbill Casting Check Support with Company and Artistic Relations Manager
- Public Address Announcements
- Touring and Run Out Production Planning /Supervision (with Director of Production and Technical Director)
- Season planning research (with Director of Production) and season advance planning for costumes, props and scenery in order to assist departments in preparation for the current season and future season budgeting
- Preparation and distribution of the rehearsal and performance audio tracks and staging videos to the Artistic team for each performance. May include some editing.
- Uploading of rehearsal videos and archival videos to the Dropbox and communicating their locations with sending of links to Artistic and Designers as needed. (some editing may be required for the archival video.) This does not include videos for marketing, streaming or broadcasting
Key Professional Experience/Job Requirements:
- A diverse range of production experience in dance and events, etc.
- Bachelor’s in fine arts technical field or 5-7 years’ experience managing and delivering production elements and workflow in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and can adapt to different environments and work well under pressure.
- Great technical knowledge and computer-literacy.
- Ability to work extended hour consecutive days.
- Ability to work nights and weekends (mandatory).
- Ability to proactively manage multiple tasks, prioritize work and be able to meet tight deadlines.
- Willingness to learn new processes and skills for professional development opportunities.
- A respect for confidentiality.
- Commitment to the arts.
Expected Work Hours and Travel:
- Must be able to work flexible shifts, including some nights, weekends, and holidays, depending on rehearsal, performance and events schedules.
- Travel as appropriate to complete job tasks.
- Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- To be considered for this position, candidates must be willing to complete a background check.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The work environment characteristics described here represent those an employee encounter while performing this job’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this document is intended to describe the current position accurately, circumstances may require other or different tasks to be performed (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Health, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life, VOL Critical Illness, VOL Accident, 401k, PTO, Sick Time
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Production Stage Manager” in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: May 24, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 07/01/2023
- Salary Range: $50,000 - $55,000
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F 8-5