Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Nashville Tree Foundation
Job Title: Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Full Time, some weekends as needed
A Communications & Outreach Coordinator at Nashville Tree Foundation is something of a Leatherman multi-tool superstar because they do a bunch of different things well, and they’re doing it to benefit our urban tree canopy here in Music City. First, you’re a good communicator. You’re a “people person.”
Next, you’re smart and creative. You’re thoughtful, you’re organized. You’ve never met a problem you didn’t want to attack head-on. And lastly, you’re excited about cause-based work, being a vital member of a small team, and you love trees! We’re a small team at NTF, we want people who are excited about the challenge of building something great.
WHO YOU ARE:
- First and foremost, you’re a hard worker. You’re diligent. You see things through. You care about doing the job, and ensuring that the job is done right. Also, you’re a self-starter.
- You are organized. Not just organized, you make lists for your lists. Super-duper, checklist-having double-check it twice, details aren’t just a thing, they’re the only thing, type of organized.
- You’re definitely a problem solver. No two days are alike. No two situations are exactly the same.
- You love the idea of a new challenge every day. Reading this bullet point literally makes you excited about the possibilities.
- You’re a communicator. You can write. You can create content. You have an eye for telling a story, and an ear for listening to others share theirs.
- You know and like people. Maybe you’ve been a community organizer. Maybe you’ve been an active volunteer. You aren’t shy about talking to people about important topics that benefit them (trees). You’re also good at organizing people and helping them achieve their full potential.
- You like to stay ahead of the curve. You anticipate and act.
- You’re someone who loves and appreciates our shared environment. Whether it’s hiking at Radnor walks on our Greenways, or just getting up and being outside, you care about all things green. NTF is a mission-based organization that has been working to plant, preserve and protect our shared urban tree canopy for more than 40 years.
WHO WE ARE:
Since 1986, the Nashville Tree Foundation, a 501c3 nonprofit organization, has worked to preserve, protect and enhance Nashville’s urban forest. We plant, we promote and we educate about trees and the importance of supporting our city’s tree canopy.
Here are some specifics about the day-to-day tasks of NTF’s Outreach & Communications Coordinator:
General Outreach and Volunteer Management (40% tasks/time)
Outreach and Communication
- Work at the direction of NTF Executive Director to effectively represent Nashville Tree Foundation by promoting the organization’s mission and working directly with the public, external stakeholders and partners to plant, promote and protect our collective urban tree canopy.
- Manage NTF day-to-day communications and outreach initiatives, create content, direct community engagement, and respond to public inquiries.
- Support NTF messaging initiatives through the development of social content, monthly email newsletters, and website blog posts; including creating copy, scheduling posts, and distributing to partners.
- Manage NTF outreach events and activities, including community events, workshops, appearances, and other communication opportunities.
- Develop relationships with neighborhoods, communities, and organizations throughout the Nashville area to ensure that all residents have access, through engagement opportunities, to
- the many economic, ecological, and social benefits that trees provide.
- Inspire, recruit, train, organize, coordinate, and guide volunteers to assist Nashville Tree Foundation in supporting its mission through events, plantings, and other task-based initiatives.
- Engagements include hands-on participation and demonstrations involving tree plantings, watering, maintenance, event support, operations support, education, protection, and preservation.
- Assist in the organization of special events, including managing volunteers and participant engagement at plantings, education, outreach, and related events like Tree Fest, ReLeafing Day, Big Old Tree Contest, Tree Spree and Fete the Forest, et al.
- Promote, recruit, and screen volunteers, through community events, sign-ups, general outreach, and other activities designed to promote and recruit volunteers.
NTF Education Program
- Design and deliver education and training opportunities, and conduct educational workshops on various topics that promote Nashville Tree Foundation’s mission and initiatives (i.e. basic tree benefits, NTF mission and communication initiatives, and other educational efforts).
- Coordinate involvement along with Urban Forestry Manager with partners, schools, and organizations, for educational programs for youth, teens, and young adults.
Partnerships, Development, and Events (40% tasks/time)
- Foster relationships and develop champions with community-based organizations, faith leaders, elected officials, and civic and community leaders that lead to the positive engagement of the community and neighborhoods.
- Work collaboratively with NTF-partner youth-serving programs to incorporate hands-on urban forestry into their activities.
- Motivate and direct stakeholders to NTFs programming including tree plantings, educational classes, and volunteer opportunities
Development and Fundraising Outreach
- Work at the direction of NTF Executive Director to perform outreach, partnership, and communication tasks with the intention of raising funds and support for the organization including drafting solicitation content, direct appeal, website content, and other solicitation and fundraising programming.
- Manage NTF’s Legacy Trees program working as a liaison to the public, program promotion, and coordinating the planting locations for Legacy Trees in collaboration with supporters and NTF team/mission.
- Support NTF event logistics including planning, communication, promotion, setup, and activation of NTF large annual events and small community events
- Work with Executive Director to plan, promote, and outreach to partners, businesses, and stakeholders for event sponsorship, and NTF promotional / fundraising and development opportunities.
- Seek out and complete grant applications that are applicable to the Forestry Department so as to enhance outreach opportunities. Submit supporting documentation upon completion of grant requirements.
Nashville Tree Foundation Support (20% tasks/time)
- Update promotional materials as needed for communication, canvassing, or other various outreach purpose use.
- Oversee the uploading and categorizing of photos and videos onto the shared drive.
- Bring new initiatives and innovative thinking to the organization.
- Support planting events, occasional NTF tree-related activities including tree care, tree adoptions and community events, and other general NTF operational activities as assigned.
KEYS TO SUCCESS
“Team-over-self” personality; professional, energetic, and positive attitude. Highly developed organizational skills with a keen attention to detail. Self-starter that isn’t afraid to propose and try new ideas. Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and presentation skills, especially, delivering complex concepts in an easy-to-understand style. Ease and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, including adults and children of all ages. Valid driver’s license with a driving record that meets insurance requirements and access to reliable transportation. Willingness and ability to drive pickup truck and trailer as needed for event support or other one-off occasions.
Must possess a high degree of discretion, integrity, professionalism, and accountability, consistent, punctual, and regular attendance, professional image, and demeanor both in person and online. Able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays, and overtime as needed; able to travel as needed. Additionally, this position may be responsible for other duties as assigned though not specifically enumerated above, and for all duties specifically delegated by the Executive Director. Minimum physical requirements: Able to successfully travel and maneuver within the day-to-day workspace, able to lift and transport up to 40 pounds. All NTF positions require working outdoors and with trees in some capacity.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Social Work, Business, or related fields. Preferred experience in conducting outreach, community engagement, volunteer management, or other non-profit fund development. Outstanding written communication and presentation skills. Additional relevant professional experience may be considered as a replacement for a degree. Should possess strong collaboration, organization, communication, time management, and project management skills.
CLASSIFICATION AND COMPENSATION
This is a Full Time Employee position with the Nashville Tree Foundation. The pay range is $35K -$42K, depending on education and experience.
How to Apply
Applicants can submit a cover letter and résumé to trees@nashvilletreefoundation.
- Date Posted: August 17, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Environment
- Salary Range: $35.000-$42,000