Adventure Science Center
Learning Specialist (Full Time)
Adventure Science Center
Position Title: Learning Specialist
Department: Learning and Outreach
Reports to: Learning & Outreach Manager
Position Designation: Non-exempt/Hourly, Full-Time
Hourly Rate: $18.90/hour
Adventure Science Center’s purpose is to transform lives through extraordinary experiences in science and innovation, and our vision is to become a nationally renowned destination science center.
Learning Specialist is responsible for the delivery of quality, hands-on science programs to schools, educational institutions/organizations, ASC camp attendees, and the general public. This position requires strong communication skills, a commitment to guest experience, and a passion for learning & accurately communicating the principles of STEM.
- Develop, plan, and present inquiry-based, hands-on science programs for school groups, camps, outreach, homeschool, and virtual content in accordance with the ASC model.
- Develop and update curriculum for school programs, outreach, homeschool, camps, and virtual programs when assigned.
- Facilitate in organizing and welcoming the entry of students, school faculty, and chaperones
- Strive to improve and maintain individual science literacy
- Develop, plan, and lead Scout programming when assigned
- Responsible to maintain the organization of program materials in inventory supply spaces by resetting them after every use.
- Serve as a lead counselor for all camps when assigned
- Develop, plan, lead, and edit virtual programming both live and pre-recorded
- Lead, planned, and assist with Birthday party programming
- Represent the Adventure Science Center in an appropriate manner while attending or leading off-site programming.
- Other duties as deemed necessary by program need and/or management
- Basic knowledge of customer service principles, techniques systems, and standards
- Proactively engage guests in inspiring interactions
- Anticipate guest’s needs and solve visitor issues with a positive, courteous, and professional attitude
- Interact on all phone calls with the same positive, helpful, courteous, respectful, and professional attitude
Other Functions and Responsibilities
- Attend quarterly staff meetings and weekly educational team meetings
- Perform core operational functions of visitor safety and wayfinding as needed
- Assist during emergency and evacuation situations
QUALIFICATIONS / TRAITS
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Education: B.S. or B.A. and individuals in a science field, education, or theater may be given a preference
- Experience creating and teaching inquiry-based hands-on science programs is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation/facilitation skills
- Enthusiasm for science, science education, and community engagement
- Reliable, collaborative team player
- Proactive communicator, engaging other departments in short- and long-term planning
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and flexibility should difficult situations arise
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Must possess a valid TN driver’s license, the ability to drive to off-site locations, and maintain a satisfactory driving record
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Public speaking and/or acting skills
- Ability to work with and organize large groups of youth and their parents/teachers in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize daily operations and adapt to changes as necessary
- Knowledge of current technology to create dynamic and engaging presentations.
- Knowledge of current, best pedagogical practices to best serve ASC’s diverse audience.
- Desire to work with and inspire children and adult guests from diverse backgrounds
- Understanding of the importance and value of working as part of a larger cross-functional and intra-departmental team in a professional, courteous, and collaborative manner
- MS Office skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Must complete ASC Safety Training in order to work with hazardous materials
- This position requires flexibility to work hours which may include working some evenings, weekends, and holidays, and a varied weekday work schedule
- Ability to complete CPR and First Aid Training
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting and training rooms, use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire regulations.
- Typically, walking, standing, bending, and carrying of light items (up to 40 pounds unassisted) are required. At times, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. Also, the employee must have manual dexterity, visual and auditory acuity.
- Some repetitive motion is involved.
- We are playful and passionate experimenters
- We think big, embrace risk, and evolve our ideas in order to lead.
- We are collaborative with each other and our whole community.
- We foster diversity, curiosity, and creativity to make our experience unique.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
- Free onsite parking
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- HSA with Employer Match
- Vacation Time, Sick Time, and Personal Days, plus 11 paid holidays a year
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Complimentary membership to Adventure Science Center
- Free or discounted admission to local venues including The Nashville Zoo, The Frist Art Museum, Nashville Shores, Cheekwood Estate and Gardens, and more!
- Employee Assistance Program (Free Counseling and Legal Services)
- Eligibility for Public Student Loan Forgiveness
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Electronic submission is required for all materials. To expedite processing, please place “Learning Specialist (Full-Time)” in the subject line of your message. No phone calls, please. Due to the volume of applications received, we will only contact candidates selected for interviews.
Adventure Science Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is intended to be a description of the general nature and level of work to be performed. This position profile should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position. These responsibilities and duties are subject to change at any time based on organizational needs.
- Date Posted: July 25, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 08/21/2023
- Salary Range: 18.90
- Working Hours: Primarily M-F, 8:30a-5:00p; Some evenings and weekends