Learning Center & Residential Counselor
Center Youth Voice – Ignite Change- Promote Justice
Oasis Center was founded in 1969, a group of young lawyers came together to establish the “Rap House,” a simple community center for runaway teens and youth struggling with addictions. Fifty years later, the “Rap House” has evolved into Oasis Center, where nearly 4,000 youth and families turn for help and direct support every year. Oasis Center provides a wide range of opportunities that reflect the diverse needs of youth and their families, from crisis intervention to youth leadership and community engagement to college and career access. Our 20+ programs and services are based on the foundation of four areas for youth success: Safety, Belonging, Empowerment, and Generosity.
Right now, our agency is growing – so if you have talent and skills, compassion and a mindset for justice, and you want to make a career in making a difference, please consider joining our incredible Oasis Center team.
Vision: to live in a world where all young people are safe, valued, connected to caring adults, and prepared for productive and fulfilling lives. We believe that progress is made toward this goal when we develop and encourage perspectives based on hope, a vision of what is possible, and the courage to act. We cultivate this change through caring relationships, meaningful action, and thoughtful reflection.
Position: Learning Center & Residential Counselor
Summary: To provide educational services and immediate crisis interventions for shelter clients and actively participate in the program team.
The shelter operates 24/7, 365 days a year, and provides short term residence and case management to youth between the ages of 13-17.
- Assist in preparing and implementing educational modules and supervise students.
- Assist with educational group services when assigned and appropriate.
- Continuously provide support for all youth by engaging individuals and groups.
- Provide student assessments and grading reporting to appropriate monitors.
- Work in partnership with youth in meeting their stated educational goals.
- Document progress of students in daily log.
- Transport and supervise youth on outings. Schedule and supervise field trips.
- Supervise classes and activities when teacher is on hiatus or holiday.
- Provide crisis intervention, referral, and intake services through the crisis phone line, crisis walk-in service, and Safe Place program.
- Provide intake and assessment services to youth and families referred to the shelter program.
- Facilitate the referral process for potential clients to other Oasis programs and/or external resources.
- Attend regularly scheduled and called staff meetings.
- Supervise activities of residents.
- Ability to form strong, caring and affirming relationships with all youth –including LGBTQ+ youth.
- Clear understanding of racial inequities and other forms of discrimination and willingness to operate from an anti-oppression model.
- Knowledge of an ability to apply Positive Youth Development, Trauma-Informed Care, and evidence-informed practices based in an understanding of adolescent development.
- Valid State of Tennessee Driver’s License and good driving record.
- Two years relevant experience or Associate’s Degree -Bachelor’s preferred
Free employee dental and vision insurance
Free LTD & Life Insurance Policy
12 Paid Holiday
401k Match up to 3%
Paid Parental Leave
How to Apply
Please send both a resume and cover letter.
- Date Posted: May 11, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: 37K-40K