Metro Government of Nashville & Davidson County
ITS Assistant Director of Communications Infrastructure Services
Metro Government of Nashville & Davidson County
Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County is the consolidated city/county government for the 23rd most populous US city, with 690,000 residents. With a vibrant culture, internationally famous music scene, outdoor opportunities and professional sports teams, Nashville is a top destination for tourists and offers a great quality of life for residents.
Metro Information Technology Services is the central IT provider for the 60 departments and agencies of the Metro Government with a mission to “lead the delivery of exceptional technology, service, and solutions.” ITS staff members deliver 33 separate service lines to our partners within Metro Government. These services support the delivery of services to Nashville’s residents and visitors. In addition to Metro’s generous healthcare and pension benefits, ITS fosters a positive work/life balance through policies including remote work and flexible scheduling options.
Metro’s ITS Assistant Director of Communications & Infrastructure Services leads service delivery support for network communications, data center services, and public safety radio. With responsibility for a FY 2023 operating budget of $12.9 million and staff of 51, this key executive manages multiple critical projects and initiatives; manages multiple internal divisions responsible for operational excellence; reports and presents department/project/initiative information to stakeholders including partners, Metro Council, and the mayor’s office; and works with peers in review of and updates to processes and procedures. The assistant director has a key role in establishing ITS goals, policies, budgets, staffing and procedures, as well as monitoring expenses and metrics.
- Responsible for the leading the strategic planning for, and day-to-day activities and implementation of, Technical Functional Areas of the Information Technology Services (ITS) Department currently including:
- Network Engineering,
- Communications Technology/Telephony,
- 800 Hz Radio Communications,
- Cabling Infrastructure Management,
- Data Center Management, and
- Server and Storage Management.
- Responsible for monitoring and metrics for Technical Functional Areas.
- Assures consistently efficient operations for IT infrastructure at all ITS sites.
- Manages multiple Metro-wide IT initiatives, programs, and projects.
- Develops and maintains excellent collaborative relationships with entities both inside and outside of Metropolitan Government to support excellent service delivery to our partners.
- Works closely with ITS peers and staff to ensure that high levels of customer satisfaction are accomplished.
- Advises and assists the Chief Information Officer/ITS Director with coordination and administration of Metro-wide, partner and ITS departmental activities.
- Works with the Chief Information Officer/ITS Director and Executive Leadership Team to develop short and long-term goals for the ITS Department.
- Consults with partner agency personnel at all levels from Department Heads to staff to determine their current and future information processing needs.
- Writes and presents reports to various officials and organizations, both internal to Metro Government and outside Metro Government, including to Mayor’s Office and to the Metropolitan Council.
- Serves as the ITS Department’s representative on non-technical Metro-wide programs with an IT component to provide IT insight and direction.
- Performs cost/benefit analysis and directs feasibility studies.
- Directs and manages multiple multi-million-dollar acquisitions, implementations, and operations of critical technology products, systems, and services.
- Leads vendor management activities for key contracts, driving accountability for supplier performance relative to contracted service levels.
- Identifies, develops and recommends ways to improve current operations.
- Actively cultivates a positive leadership culture within ITS and leads engagement activities for functional area.
- Oversees Technical Functional Area managerial and HR competencies.
- Recommends appropriate staff training programs.
- Establishes, reviews and enforces departmental policies and procedures.
- Works closely with CIO and Chief Information Security Officer to facilitate understanding of and compliance with information security policies and practices within Technical Functional Area and partners.
- Oversees regular formulation, maintenance and testing of business continuity/disaster recovery processes for all Technical Functional Areas and associated functions.
- Leads and/or participates in Metro and departmental crisis response activities.
Seven (7) or more years’ experience in one or more of the following:
- Directing the day-to-day activities of a large Information Technology Department managing 3 or more of the following areas: Network Architecture, Network/Telephony Operations, 800 MHz Radio Communications, Cabling Infrastructure Management, Data Center Management, or Server and Storage Management.
- Program and project management of increasingly complex IT initiatives
- Increasing levels of financial management of $10 million in operating budget while being a good steward of allocated finances
- Higher-level management (senior management or assistant director) of a large organization, primarily in an IT capacity
- Experience as spokesperson for an IT organization, communicating directly with Government Officials, Company Boards/Executive Leadership and/or Media
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field from an accredited college or university and thorough (5-6 years) experience in IT staff management and IT infrastructure project management
*Resume must be included with application to ensure consideration. *
Listed with the job description information on Metro Government of Nashville & Davidson County’s website
How to Apply
Apply on Metro Government of Nashville & Davidson County’s website:
- Date Posted: January 13, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Information Technology
- Service Area: Government
- Start Date: 05/01/2023
- Salary Range: 123,586 - 180,000
- Working Hours: TBD