ENCORE Ministry Foundation
ENCORE Ministry Foundation
The Executive Director of ENCORE Ministry (EM) serves as the chief executive officer of EM and the McKendree
Village Foundation (MVF) and is responsible for the successful leadership and management of ENCORE Ministry
according to the strategic objectives set by the board of directors. Both ENCORE Ministry and McKendree Village
Foundation are located in Nashville, Tennessee. The Executive Director of ENCORE Ministry serves as ex-officio,
non-voting member of a board of directors, which meets quarterly to act on proposals and work done by
committees, and directly supervises an executive team consisting of a part-time program director and a part-time
communications director. The McKendree Village Foundation (MVF) is an affiliated ministry of EM with a focus on
financially supporting eligible older adults who reside at McKendree Village (MKV), a senior continuing care
retirement community (CCRC). The MVF board meets twice a year. Maintaining operations of the MVF takes 10-
15% of the Executive Director’s time.
The mission of ENCORE Ministry is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world by
providing consultation, training and support, advocacy, quality resources, networking opportunities, and grant
funding to equip church leaders in the Tennessee-Western Kentucky (TWK) Conference of The United Methodist
Church for intentional ministry by, with, and for older adults.
To create a world where the wisdom, skills, experience, and faith of older adults is carefully nurtured, properly
equipped, and fully utilized.
• Equip and support church leaders of TWK Conference for intentional ministry by, with, and for older
• Provide older adult ministry resources for the TWK Conference
• Strengthen local churches’ capacity to offer older adult ministry with consultation, training, and grants.
• Maintain and grow giving to the annual fund and the endowment through fundraising.
• Collaborate with other organizations to address older adult issues.
Mission and Strategy
• Oversee marketing and communication efforts to enhance EM’s image by being active and visible in
the community and by working closely with the TWK Conference and its affiliated churches, agencies,
• Collaborate with the board chair and serve as EM’s primary spokesperson to its constituents and
stakeholders, the media, and the general public
• Establish and maintain relationships with various secular and religious organizations throughout the
TWK Conference and utilize those relationships strategically to enhance and further EM’s mission
• Develop — with Board chair, Finance Committee chair, and Personnel Committee chair —
measurable and specific results of the Executive Director’s and ENCORE Ministry’s annual review
• Work with the board to develop a plan for raising annual funds and endowment gifts. The Finance
Committee will collaborate with the Executive Director to set performance standards and results
• Prepare and submit a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements to the board in
consultation with the chair of the Finance Committee and the Treasurer
• Execute the annual budget and maintain the fiscal integrity of EM through sound fiscal management
that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensure maximum resource utilization,
and maintain a sound financial position
• Under the supervision of the board, manage operations, including establishing employment and
administrative policies and procedures for all functions and the day-to-day activities
• In cooperation with the board through its chair and its executive committee, hire and retain
competent, qualified staff through effective supervision and collaboration
• Sign all board-approved notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on
behalf of EM
• Plan and organize the meetings of the two boards in consultation with the board chairs
• Direct and lead the formulation and implementation of EM’s mission, annual goals, and objectives
• Work with the board and staff to develop and implement policies, procedures, and a long-range, five-year
• Keep informed about older adult trends, issues, events, and developments relevant to EM by
attending events, conferences, workshops, and seminars
Maintain a close working relationship with representatives of the TWK Conference and its affiliated
districts, agencies, and organizations
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field required (Master’s degree is preferred)
• At least five years of demonstrated business management and communication experience, fundraising
success, and non-profit organizational leadership experience required.
• Knowledge of and/or experience with The United Methodist Church (UMC) and the TWK Conference is
• General knowledge of gerontology and a genuine interest in older adult issues
• Communicate and collaborate effectively in writing and verbally with stakeholders, staff, and community
• Proven fundraising planning and execution experience.
• Experience working with a board of directors.
• Strategic planning experience
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
• Fiscal management skills, including budget preparation, decision-making, and reporting
• Strong sense of integrity in leadership;
• Conviction to lead with compassion, honesty, effectiveness, and flexibility,
• Willingness to learn in areas in which prior knowledge may not exist.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
A competitive salary ($90k — $100k starting range, based on experience) and benefits package is offered
including health insurance, pension plan, life insurance, paid time off for vacation, personal use and illnesses, and
a flexible work schedule in a hybrid setting (office in Nashville, Tennessee), spending time each week working
remotely and in person. Salary and relocation expenses are negotiable.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
ENCORE Ministry is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity actively encourages applicants
from all cultures, races, colors, religions, national or regional origins, age, disability status, sexual orientation,
military, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Submit one PDF file consisting of the following:
• Cover letter stating your reason(s) for seeking this position,
• Contact information for three personal and/or professional references.
• An employment offer is subject to the applicant successfully completing background, references, and
other applicable checks.
• A transition period, including onboarding, will begin in the fourth quarter of 2023.
General questions about this job opportunity or ENCORE Ministry may be addressed to
All applicants will receive acknowledgement upon receipt of their application.
For more information about ENCORE Ministry and to complete the Application Form, please proceed to www.encoreministry.org
- Date Posted: February 27, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Philanthropy / CSR
- Start Date: 11/01/2023
- Salary Range: $90,000-$100,000 Start
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F