Scarritt Bennett Center
Scarritt Bennett Center
Executive Chef/Director is responsible for superior customer service, staffing, purchasing, menu planning, and execution with attention to details unique to each group regarding dietary requirements and preferences while supporting the Scarritt Bennett Center and its mission by providing quality meals and breaks for the guests and staff.
- Train and manage kitchen personnel and supervise/coordinate all related culinary/catering activities. Manage performance of all kitchen staff. Conduct performance reviews and recommend pay increases
- Estimate food consumption, purchase food, select and develop menus and recipes, establish presentation and quality standards.
- Oversee and ensure proper equipment operation/maintenance/repair.
- Ensure proper safety and sanitation in kitchen and guest areas. Maintain required certification in ServSafe and adherence to local Health Department regulations
- Coordinate activities with other internal departments, participate in management team meetings, maintain invoices, receipts, and interface with Finance Director.
- Work with Catering/Front of House Manager to successfully execute internal and special events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Culinary Skills, focus on detail and working under pressure
- Familiar with food allergies and special dietary requirements
- Excellent communication skills, including written and verbal
- Leadership Skills: Management, Motivation and Delegation
- Organization: Time Management, Scheduling and Prioritizing
- Creativity: Problem Solving, Presentation and Emerging Trends
- Food Safety: Attention to all details that involve handling of food service items for kitchen and guests
- IT: Must possess computer skills for online ordering, payroll, and hiring
- A bachelor’s or related culinary degree and minimum of five years in the food service/catering industry, including 2+ years management experience
- ServSafe Certified and meets the regulatory standards required by the state of TN to maintain a food service operation, prepare and serve food
- Able to function in a culinary work environment that involves risks and discomforts, requires physical stamina and dexterity and necessitates safe work practices.
- Must be able and willing to work a flexible schedule that includes extra hours when necessary
This is a full-time, exempt position. Scarritt Bennett Center is proud to offer a complete benefits package for all full-time employees. The package includes medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, 9% employer contribution to a Personal Investment Plan (PIP), Paid Time Off, and free campus parking.
About Scarritt Bennett
Located on 11 peaceful acres in the heart of Nashville’s historic Music Row, Scarritt Bennett Center’s campus has been a place for justice and transformative education for more than a century. What began as a school for women missionaries in 1892 in Kansas City, MO, Scarritt Bennett Center resides on the campus of what was formerly Scarritt College for Christian Workers.
The legacy of Scarritt students, faculty, and staff in movements for justice such as women’s rights, desegregation, civil rights, international relations, and interfaith dialogue runs wide and deep. When the College closed in 1988, the campus became home to Scarritt Bennett Center, a place of hospitality, education about justice and equality, reconciliation and renewal, and cooperation and interaction within the ecumenical and global context. Rooted in mission, the Center is committed to the eradication of racism, empowerment of women, and spiritual formation.
The Center’s breathtaking, historic architecture, robust campus gardens, and convenient location in the heart of Nashville, combined with our commitment to justice and passion for creating a more just world, make Scarritt Bennett Center an exciting professional and personal choice.
How to Apply
Interested candidates can visit https://scarrittbennett.org/careers and select “apply” to begin the application process which includes a cover letter and resume.
- Date Posted: January 9, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Housing
- Start Date: 01/31/2023
- Salary Range: Commiserate with Experience
- Working Hours: Vary - shifts from 8am to 9 pm, 7 days a week