Cumberland River Compact
Education and Engagement Associate
Cumberland River Compact
The Cumberland River Compact is a 501c3 nonprofit dedicated to enhancing the health and enjoyment of the Cumberland River and its tributaries through education, restoration, and collaboration. Serving three million people and thousands of species, the Cumberland River Compact works to address root causes of water pollution, both urban and rural. Integral to the success of our mission are our knowledgeable and dedicated staff that embody the values of our organization, and work closely as a team to advance conservation goals.
The Education and Engagement Associate will report to the Senior Program Manager, Education and Engagement, and is responsible for coordinating and delivering high-quality youth education programs to schools and community groups. We are seeking a qualified candidate with interest and experience in delivering environmental education programs and developing new programs focused on fostering a connection with nature. The Education and Engagement Associate is expected to spend approximately 60% of their time directly engaging with students and teachers at schools and community programs.
The Cumberland River Compact is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to a policy of nondiscrimination, inclusion, and equal opportunity and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates in this search.
- Coordinate and deliver high-quality environmental education programs for classrooms, afterschool groups, and community groups in-person and virtually.
- Conduct outreach and marketing for school programs including connecting with local school districts. Serve as the main point of contact for all school program inquiries including contract processing, invoicing, and communication.
- Maintain organization and inventory of program supplies and submit material orders when needed.
- Develop and update K-12 school programs in accordance with the Cumberland River Compact model.
- Support community education outreach and events including River Talks, neighborhood/HOA outreach, and business engagement.
- Assist with Family Engagement programs like the annual Waterfest – a youth education special event.
- Support other Education and Engagement activities as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1 to 2 years of experience in education program delivery and coordination, including for large groups of students (15 to 20 students).
- Environmental Science knowledge and a demonstrated willingness to learn new topics.
- Enthusiasm for working with children and teachers.
- Collaborative mindset and ability to work with a team.
- Ability to engage with diverse learners in classroom and community settings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and Virtual platforms (Zoom)
- Ability to lift 30lbs or more and stand on feet for prolonged time.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable personal vehicle
- Ability to travel within Middle Tennessee.
- Meet the requirements of our background screening process
- Bachelor degree in education, environmental science, biology, natural resources, or related degree.
- Proficiency in an additional language (Spanish or Arabic preferred).
- Experience with teacher professional development and curriculum writing.
- Graphic Design skills (Adobe or Canva)
This position is part-time ( up to 30 hours per week), hourly compensation. Part-time employees are eligible for participating in the Cumberland River Compact’s 401k program and for annual performance-based bonuses.
How to Apply
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your experiences and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not call regarding this position.
- Date Posted: May 9, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 06/01/2023
- Salary Range: $20/hour
- Working Hours: Must be available Monday to Friday from 7:30am to 6:00pm for programming delivery. Occasional evening and weekend may be required and will be communicate in advance. Schedule will vary week to week and appropriate flexibility will be provided.