Director of Research and Grants
The Director of Research and Grants is responsible for the identification, writing, fulfillment, and tracking of all agency grants in alignment with the annual budget along with new opportunities that become known throughout the year, with the support of the Grant Coordinator. This individual maintains, expands, and diversifies grant opportunities by securing funds from private, public, and family foundations, corporations, housing agencies, and governmental funding sources for gap funding, technology, infrastructure, general operating support, special projects, and all programmatic needs. Under the supervision of the Director of Development and Community Engagement and working collaboratively with all organization departments and the CEO, this individual develops grant proposals, performs administrative activities from grant inception to receipt of project funding and final reporting, and oversees grant management including monitoring, completion of fulfillment, reporting, forecasting, and audits. Reports to the Director of Development and Community Engagement.
- Researches and Develops Grant Opportunities
- Researches and identifies new funding opportunities related to governmental, foundational, and corporate sources and makes recommendations to the Leadership Team and/or Department Heads for pursuit
- Responsible for identifying matching grant opportunities in accordance with agency programs, capital needs, and initiatives
- Represents Thistle Farms in grant meetings and events.
- Initiates and maintains communications and develops relationships with prospects and funders via meetings, phone calls, and other methods of prospecting such as written correspondences and visits to funders, in conjunction with the CEO, Director of Development, and other agency leadership
- Facilitates Grant Development and Grant Writing Processes
- Oversees all facets of the grant application process, including researching, writing/editing, compiling supporting documents, submitting, and tracking grant proposals from inception to fulfillment. Responsibilities include all agency grants
- Manages and grows portfolio of grant funders to ensure a diverse revenue stream
- Tracks deadlines of potential grant-making sources by maintaining a grants calendar, as related to the fiscal year budget
- Meets with program staff to gather and extrapolate information (including programmatic details, financial budgets, etc.) that supports grant development as appropriate
- Manages Grant Reporting and Tracking Processes
- Maintains grant pipeline to capture line-item detail for each grant opportunity being tracked with information focused on the current stage, forecasted dates for future stages, expected commitment dates, and expected receipt of cash dates, in coordination with finance and other departments
- Coordinates authorization of agreements, contracts, and promissory notes related to grant funding
- Coordinates with finance and other departments to ensure proper financial accounting, and grant audit
- Manages Grants Coordinator
- Oversees the work of the Grants Coordinator
- Provides training to the Grants Coordinator on all agency grants and related procedures
- Identifies development opportunities for the Grants Coordinator to help provide for their growth and expanded skills in the discipline
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Policy, English, Social Work, etc.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in grant writing and/or marketing with proven success.
- Experience in writing, reporting, and managing government grants and/or communication effectively about them.
- Proven track record in proposal writing and grant attainment.
- Effective organizational, planning, analytical, and written and oral communication skills.
- Social awareness and emotional intelligence to navigate complex and sensitive topics.
- Experience and heart for working in non-profit spaces and a trauma-informed care setting.
- Should be a proactive self-starter with the ability to work independently. Need a strong ability to set priorities and solve problems as well as adhere to stringent deadlines.
- Technically adept and experienced with online tools and systems including funding databases, government and grant portals, Blackbaud products or other CRMs, Microsoft and Google products, etc.
- Contributory medical, dental and vision plans/ 401k.
- Paid Days Off (you will be entitled to paid time off in accordance with the Company’s
- vacation policy)
- Typically 10 paid holidays per year and closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, subject to change annually.
How to Apply
- Date Posted: May 23, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Other