Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville
Director of Grants
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Nashville
The Director of Grants is responsible for the identification, writing, fulfillment and tracking of all agency grants in alignment with the annual budget along with new opportunities that become known throughout the year, with the support of the Grants Administrator. This individual maintains and expands agency grant funding by securing funds from private, public and family foundations, corporations, housing agencies, and governmental funding sources for sponsorship, construction gap funding, technology, infrastructure, land acquisition and development, general operating support, special projects and other agency needs. Under supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer and working collaboratively with agency Department Heads, this individual develops grant proposals, performs administrative activities from grant inception to receipt of project funding and final reporting, and oversees grant management including monitoring, fulfillment, reporting, forecasting and audits. Supervises the Grants Administrator. Reports to the Chief Administrative Officer.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
Develops Grant Opportunities
- Writes and manages all government grants, understanding the related business needs, timelines and other funding sources in that process
- Identifies and pursues funding opportunities related to foundation and corporate sources and engages with the Leadership Team and/or Department Heads for pursuit, timing, need alignment and completion
- Responsible for pursuing matching grant opportunities in accordance with agency programs, capital needs, and initiatives
- Advises and collaborates with the CEO, CAO and other agency leadership with respect to the implementation of strategies to cultivate long-term, comprehensive relationships with grantors
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with grant officers of major grantors, including but not limited to corporations, foundations and government entities and advocates for appropriate funder recognition
- Represents Habitat in affordable housing forums and venues
- Initiates and maintains communications and develops relationships with prospects and funders via meetings, phone calls, and other methods of prospecting such as written correspondences and visits to funders, in conjunction with the CEO, CAO and other agency leadership
Prepares Compelling Grant Applications
- Oversees all facets of the grant application process, including researching, writing/editing, compiling supporting documents, submitting, and tracking grant proposals from inception to fulfillment. Maintains personal ownership of the most complex grants while developing the skills of the Grants Administrator on specific opportunities
- Manages and grows a portfolio of grant funders to ensure a diverse revenue stream
- Tracks deadlines of potential grant-making sources by maintaining a grants calendar, as related to the fiscal year budget
- Meets with program staff to gather and extrapolate information (including programmatic details, financial budgets, etc.) that supports grant development as appropriate
Manages Grant Reporting and Tracking Processes
- Develops and maintains schedule for reporting grant results to funder, utilizing Salesforce.com
- Maintains grant pipeline to capture line-item detail for each grant opportunity with information including current stage, forecasted dates for future stages, updated valuation for financial projections, expected commitment dates, and expected receipt of cash dates, in coordination with Finance and other departments
- Documents donor data, grant outcomes/feedback, and historical findings in donor database/grant calendar for effective grants management and tracking
- Coordinates authorization of agreements, contracts, and promissory notes related to grant funding
- Originates communication to staff and coordinates appropriate actions regarding grant management systems – specifically tasks, compliance, regulations, and establishing policies and procedures
- Coordinates with finance, construction, divisions, homeowner services and development departments to ensure proper financial accounting, procurement/ purchasing standards, property management information, and grant audits
- Responsible for all tracking, reporting and fulfillment for all grants, directing the activities of the Grants Administrator in this regard
- Keeps grant data updated in Salesforce.com
- Completes grant-closing procedures
Manages Grants Administrator
- Oversees the work of the Grants Administrator in carrying out the responsibilities of that position
- Provides training to the Grants Administrator on all agency grants and related procedures
- Identifies development opportunities for the Grants Administrator in support of expanded skill development in the discipline and with respect to Habitat’s specific grants
Provides Agency Support:
- Updates the agency’s GivingMatters and GuideStar profiles with current, complete information
- Forecasts fiscal year grant funding needs and opportunities to be included in agency budget
- Participates at the build site and at agency events and functions as needed to deliver the Habitat experience
- Participates in the Annual Review Process
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Create compelling written grant proposals outlining the grant request and the connection of the funding with Habitat’s mission, in alignment with agency activities and timelines.
- Prepare, monitor and track detailed grant budgets utilizing Excel.
- Ensure complete and accurate electronic grant documentation in agency’s shared drive and Salesforce
- Develop and maintain relationships with corporations, foundations and government agencies crucial for ongoing agency grant support.
- Maintain accurate detailed grant pipeline including updated financial projections
- Direct the work of the Grants Administrator and develop their expertise
- Position requires a minimum of 7 years of experience in grant proposal and budget development and execution as well as supervision, administration, and/or management of grant processes; experience with federal grants is strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Proven track record in proposal writing and grant attainment; Grant Professionals Certified (GPC) credential a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft 365 applications and donor management systems is required; experience with Salesforce.com is strongly preferred.
- Effective organizational, planning, and analytical skills.
- Possesses a strong command of the written word and the ability to effectively and comprehensively communicate funding needs in writing.
- Must have the ability and desire to work respectfully with people of all cultures, languages, national origins, races, ethnic backgrounds, religions, classes, immigration statuses, sexual orientations, gender identity and expressions, ages, mental or physical abilities, and other diversity factors. Must conduct all activities in accordance with Habitat principles.
Average time for this position is approximately 40+ hours/week. Regular office hours are required, as well as availability for evening meetings and weekend activities, including build site participation, as needed.
- SIMPLE IRA
- SIMPLE IRA matching
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Health insurance
- Employer paid life insurance
- Employer paid short term disability / employer paid long term disability
- Paid time off
- Employer paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
How to Apply
For all interested and qualified candidates please send a Cover Letter and Resume with three professional references to: email@example.com
Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace
- Date Posted: May 19, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Housing
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/ wk ; M-F