Pet Community Center
Director of Community Outreach and Volunteer Development
Pet Community Center
Pet Community Center’s Director of Community Outreach and Volunteer Development plays a critical leadership role in advancing PCC’s mission of strengthening the human-animal bond through accessible veterinary care and support services. This position serves as a key member of PCC’s leadership team and is responsible for supervising, supporting, and growing PCC’s outreach programs (Community Cats, Pets for Life, and Food Security Programs) and the organization’s volunteer program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Program Management
- Leads and mentors the program team including the Community Cat, Pets for Life, and Food Security Programs.
- Supervises and supports program staff in meeting goals, implementing and developing a strategic approach to each PCC program, and ensuring all grant requirements are met.
- Responsible for budget oversight of programs and facilities.
- Leads planning of annual program goals, in cooperation with the CEO, determines outputs and outcomes for each program and mechanisms for consistently monitoring program data.
- Reviews program outcomes annually for impact, efficiency, and relevance. Advises CEO and directors team and provides recommendations for changes, addition, or cessation of program services.
- Provides data for each program for the utilization of board reports, grant reporting, and fundraising campaigns. Monitors grant progress each month and, as early as possible, notifies CEO and Director of Development and Communications if there are any concerns.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with external partners, including nonprofits, government, businesses, and community stakeholders, to advance the programs and mission of Pet Community Center.
- Performs regular visits to off-site programs and staff to support staff and to ensure protocols are being implemented consistently. This may include weekend work.
- Works closely with the Clinic Operations Director to ensure that all program interactions with the clinic are working well.
- Develops and manages volunteer program to support organizational needs, which includes overseeing the volunteer engagement lifecycle (i.e., recruitment, position interviewing and on-boarding, volunteer hour tracking, volunteer recognition, planned growth experiences, and volunteer career development).
- Provides consultation, coaching and training resources to promote positive workforce relationships (employees with volunteers, volunteers with volunteers) and effective ongoing volunteer engagement.
- Follows up with volunteers and departments to ensure proper placement and job satisfaction.
- Leads ongoing discussions with requesting departments about volunteer engagement cycle, roles and responsibilities working to identify what’s working and lessons learned.
- Conducts volunteer exit interviews.
- Ensures all volunteers are properly introduced to the mission, vision, values, structure, and programs through an effective organization orientation program.
- Effectively “team lead,” displaying a positive attitude and acting as a motivating force for all staff members.
- Regularly communicate with and solicit input from the programs team and provide appropriate follow up.
- Ensure PCC’s philosophies for program delivery are in place, demonstrating a non-judgmental, service-based approach to helping pets and people.
- Work closely with PCC’s CEO, medical director, director of clinic operations, and director of development and communications to move PCC’s mission and programs forward strategically.
All other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in a nonprofit or government setting.
- Client Education
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts including but not limited to vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks
- Must also be able to communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian
- Management and Leadership
- Minimum three to five years’ experience in managing a team.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in managing staff and volunteers.
- Ability to apply critical thinking to a range of situations.
- Team oriented, solutions focused approach to problem solving.
- Adaptability to change in a fast-moving environment.
- Willingness to participate in ongoing personal and organizational learning to achieve quality and excellence.
- Ability to advance team and individual growth and development.
- Ability to navigate and resolve conflict. Comfortability with healthy conflict and embracing healthy conflict as a learning opportunity
- Strategic thinking and acting – ability to see bigger picture and implement change
- Ability and willingness to manage self, individuals, and the team from a strengths-based perspective.
- Implement PCC’s core values and philosophies in customer service by demonstrating a non-judgmental, service-based approach to helping pets and people. Motivate employees to implement our customer service practices by being a good example.
- Technical proficiency with PC platforms, as well as Microsoft Office and Google Drive. Ability to learn new database systems.
- Must be able to work standing or sitting for 10 or more hours
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds repeatedly throughout the day with help
- Must be able to bend and kneel repeatedly
- Must have and maintain a valid TN driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must be able to see fine detail in a variety of situations
Three to five years or more experience in working with vulnerable populations or social services in a nonprofit environment or experience with program management. Strong coaching and communication skills. Veterinary clinic, veterinary hospital, and/or animal shelter or control facility experience is helpful, but not required. Candidate should be highly motivated, enthusiastic self-starter with a professional attitude.
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance options
- Health Savings Account
- 4-day work week (Mon-Thurs)
- Paid Time off
- Retirement 401K
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount
How to Apply
Interested? Please send your resume and cover letter to Brandon Dyce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date Posted: March 9, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Animal Welfare
- Salary Range: 60000