The Tennessee Innocence Project
Development & Communications Associate
The Tennessee Innocence Project
About the Organization: The Tennessee Innocence Project (“TIP”) is a non-profit organization dedicated to investigating and litigating claims of actual innocence made by individuals convicted in Tennessee. TIP litigates wrongful conviction cases to obtain exonerations, trains law students and attorneys about how to litigate those cases and prevent future wrongful convictions, and effectuates changes to facilitate the discovery of wrongful convictions and provide remedies.
About the Position: The newly added position of Development & Communications Associate will be key in enabling the Tennessee Innocence Project to achieve its mission by raising funds to support the annual budget. Working closely with the Director of Development, this role will cultivate relationships with donors at various levels, research new funding streams, assist with events, and coordinate communications and public relations. The ideal candidate is passionate about wrongful convictions and wants to be part of a team fulfilling TIP’s mission. This position will report to the Director of Development.
- Manage Eleo, our donor database software, and oversee gift entry and processing as well as donor acknowledgment.
- Provide input and ideas on methods to increase potential donors.
- Collect and analyze donor and prospective donor data to detect trends and improve fundraising strategies, especially looking at loyal donors, major donors, and potential donors.
- Support the implementation of donor-segmented communication, including assisting with regular communication to major donors.
- Assist in achieving the organization’s fundraising goals.
- Participate in the planning of all fundraising and community events in Memphis and Nashville, as well as helping ensure sponsorship benefit fulfillment and creation of marketing materials.
- Marketing/ Communications
- Plan and execute promotional efforts to drive applications, funding, and build brand awareness across the state.
- Assist the Public Relations & Education Committee of the Board.
- Identify and develop new strategies to broaden the organization’s visibility.
- Create a system to track marketing outreach efforts.
- Help implement the to-be-formed Justice Champions ambassador program and Associate Board for young professional volunteers to engage wider audiences.
- Generate content and client stories to share on the website, social media, bi-monthly newsletters, annual fundraising appeals, press releases, and impact reports.
- Provide ancillary administrative support to development staff when appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of successful non-profit experience is preferred, especially in areas of development and communications. Marketing experience is a plus.
- Demonstrate analytical and fundraising skills with the ability to recognize opportunities and prioritize them to attain goals.
- Personable individual with the ability to collaborate as part of a team. Strong networker.
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office. Familiarity with donor database systems is highly desirable (Tennessee Innocence Project uses Eleo).
The Tennessee Innocence Project is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly value a diverse workforce and inclusive culture for all employees
Generous time off, professional development, health care insurance, and short-term/long-term disability insurance.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should e-mail as attachments a cover letter and resume to Aubrey Garrido at Aubrey@tninnocence.org. Applications without cover letters will not be considered. Include “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line of your email. Individuals selected for an interview will be contacted directly. No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: January 25, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 04/03/2023
- Working Hours: 40 hrs/wk; M-F; some evenings and weekends will be required.