Cumberland River Compact
Communications and Development Director
Cumberland River Compact
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development & Communications Director is responsible for generating revenue through individual and corporate giving programs and philanthropic events. The Development & Communications Director maintains the Compact’s donor base, cultivates relationships with potential donors and works closely with the Executive Director to develop individual and corporate giving strategies that encourage unrestricted gifts to further the organization’s mission and operations. They will also oversee the organization’s marketing and promotional efforts, implementing strategies to increase brand and mission awareness both online and in the communities served by the Compact. The Development & Communications Director will enjoy a corporate culture that is entrepreneurial, collegial and often requires an all hands on deck attitude. This position supervises one full time employee and manages event, graphics, and website contractors.
- Ensure that the organization meets its annual targets for unrestricted, public support
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director
- Create and execute the organization’s annual development plan with timeline and goals.
- Maintain high level of knowledge of Nashville’s philanthropic community or desire to learn
- Support the Compact’s Board of Directors and fundraising committee in their goals and work
- Facilitate connections to key stakeholders and potential donors
- Work with the Executive Director and Board to create a 2 year strategic plan for unrestricted, public support.
- Develop and execute, in conjunction with Executive Director, donor retention strategies to ensure satisfaction and continued revenue
- Develop and execute, in conjunction with program staff and Executive Director, corporate engagement strategies including financial support, event participation and volunteer participation.
Event Planning/Special Projects
- Plan and implement fundraising strategies specific to events and special fundraising campaigns related to events
- Supervise staff or contractors who are responsible for event logistics
Campaigns/Major Gifts Development
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors
- Build and promote platforms for diversified gifts such as bequests, qualified charitable distributions, appreciated assets, etc.
- Develop and execute campaigns including, but not limited to, annual campaign, capital campaign and flash campaigns
- Create a community-centric donor culture focused on long term cultivation with current and prospective donors including meaningful touch points throughout the year
- Gather, interpret and report donor data, using data to inform approach to donor cultivation
- Work with executive director on donor retention activities
- Maintain donor database and process incoming gifts
- Manage donor data, maintaining confidentiality and security of personal and proprietary information
- Prepare or support preparation of impact and compliance reports
- Pull mailing lists, generate donor reports
- Provide project support for other programs and initiatives, as needed.
- Provide basic office support, which includes, but is not limited to fielding public inquiries for information.
- Maintains and grows organizational brands digitally and in communities served by the Compact.
- Create or support creation of donor communications which may include, but is not limited to, emails and newsletters and annual reports
- Manage creation of social media content for donors
- Oversees creation of collateral materials including but not limited to business letterhead, acknowledgement communications, program promotional material, signage, billboards, advertising, business cards, tabling materials for events and public meetings
- Execute the organization’s external communications including twice monthly digital newsletter, social media press releases, and advertisements
- Use targeted communications to reach key constituents of the Cumberland River Compact with calls to action
- Assist in organizing and promoting events that raise awareness about Cumberland River Compact programs and mission
- Create and execute annual and quarterly marketing plans to advance the strategic and fundraising goals of the organization
- Oversee website updates and maintenance
- Provide funders and major donors with branded impact reports that help demonstrate the impact of their contribution
- Bachelor’s degree in business, public relations/marketing, nonprofit leadership, or related field
- At least 5 years proven track record of developing individual gifts in a nonprofit organization
- At least 3 years of experience in event-based fundraising
- Microsoft Office Suite including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; proficient in Kindful, Quickbooks. Familiarity with google analytics and social media intelligence platforms
- Proven track record developing corporate prospects and a strong understanding of corporate giving.
- Ability to lift, push, pull at least 40 lbs.
The Development & Communications Director should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability/flexibility: Flexibility, versatility and tolerance in a changing/start-up/entrepreneurial work environment
- Relationship building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Planning: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
- Communications skills: Persuasive and passionate communicator with strong verbal and written skills as well as strong listening skills.
- Leadership: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Creativity/innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations and create new opportunities for the organization.
- Problem solving/reasoning skills: Assess problems, identify root causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Decision making: Assess situations to determine their level of importance, urgency and risk; make clear and timely decisions that further the organization’s best interest.
- Strategic thinking: Assess options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization.
- Foster teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Maintain poise and professionalism: Ability to maintain poise and professionalism with a variety of audiences and in a variety of situations.
- Discretion: Act with discretion, particularly when handling sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality of all proprietary and personal data.
- Ethical behavior: Ensure that personal behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with the standards set forth by the organization and aligns with the values of the organization.
The Compact offers a generous paid time off policy, medical insurance, 401(k) with employer match, and annual bonus based on individual and organizational performance. Join a great team working in a beautiful light-filled office.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter, salary requirement, and writing sample relevant to the position to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: October 14, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Environment
- Start Date: 01/03/2022
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk, M-F