Friends Life Community
Client Empowerment Specialist
Friends Life Community
Embark on a Journey of Empowerment with Friends Life Community!
At Friends Life Community, we believe in the boundless potential of every individual, with and without disabilities. We are on a mission to create opportunities that empower adults with intellectual disabilities to discover their unique talents and find their place within the community and the world. Together, we are building a more fulfilling life for our Friends and bringing peace of mind to their families.
Our Core Values: Belonging, Self-Advocacy, and Innovation
At the heart of our organization lies a commitment to our core values:
Belonging: We believe that everyone deserves to be seen, respected, and celebrated for their unique qualities. We create an inclusive environment where diversity is celebrated, and everyone is excited to be a part of the community.
Self-Advocacy: We empower the Friends to know their rights and responsibilities, encouraging them to use their voice to advocate for themselves in a proactive and engaged manner.
Innovation: We never settle for the status quo. Committed to constant evolution, we continuously improve our programming and methods to provide better opportunities, education, employment, and quality of life for the IDD community.
Your Purpose: Client Empowerment Specialist
As a Client Empowerment Specialist, you will play a vital role in supporting the daily operation of our programs, assisting in curriculum development and delivery across all program areas. Your mission is to actively grow the impact of the organization on our clients through leading and supporting classes and activities that enhance self-advocacy, active participation, and social and employment skills. Successful candidates will be able to articulate their vision for a more inclusive world and will outline how their particular skillset will contribute to the social development, personal growth, and community enhancement of our clients.
We expect you to bring excellence to program implementation, demonstrating sound judgment, decision-making, communication, and organizational skills. Your active collaboration with co-workers and volunteers will result in clients learning valuable skills, increasing socialization, improving self-advocacy and independence, and enhancing Friends Life Community’s positive community reputation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create content and curriculum to build skills and deliver services, maximizing individual and group outcomes.
- Execute curriculum as developed for assigned classes.
- Maximize efforts in collaboration with volunteers.
- Demonstrate best practices, inclusion, empathy, communication, and relationship-building with clients.
- Represent FLC in a professional manner and increase positive awareness of its mission and brand.
- Incorporate opportunities for clients to be actively involved in community activities and educate the general community on the strengths of the clients and the value of inclusivity.
- Demonstrate and increase awareness of the Friends Life Community brand as experts in the field of disability services and leaders in innovation.
- Support staff and clients at events to showcase client work and increase community engagement.
- Support evening/weekend activities such as Social Club Events, Friends’ Treat Truck events, Dinner Club, etc.
- Collaborate with team members to advertise, execute, and meet event objectives.
Planning and Implementation (as assigned):
- Support each client by informing individuals of goals and reporting progress on goals.
- Provide individualized adaptations to meet goals.
- Build support systems around individuals to sustain success within programming and ensure skills are transferred successfully to the community and home.
- Create and implement action plans for assigned program classes, groups, and individualized coaching.
- Work closely with all team members to support successful program implementation.
- Support all program goals and team members in overall organizational goals.
- Fulfill organizational policies and procedures.
- Transport clients throughout the community in company-owned vehicles, including minivans and minibusses.
- Mentor and coach co-workers and volunteers in organizational culture, values, and policies with positive attitudes and hold coworkers accountable for exceptional service delivery and professional program implementation.
- All duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Belief in the organization’s mission and the willingness to share the FLC brand script with others.
- At least 1 year of experience working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities is preferred but not required.
- Proven ability to teach and impart skills that inspire growth.
- An enthusiasm for guiding and motivating others towards program goals.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to teach skills.
- Ability to give direction and feedback to others to accomplish program goals.
- Willingness to learn and receive feedback.
- Demonstration of core values: belonging, self-advocacy, and innovation.
- Ability to execute programming and projects with a team.
- Active demonstration of professionalism and good judgment throughout all work.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to necessary changes to support daily activities as well as benefit the organization.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Experience and enthusiasm for performing, directing, or creating original works of art and the understanding of how to tell a compelling story.
- Understand and demonstrate policies and procedures, safety procedures, and sustain CPR and First Aid certification.
This position is hourly and may be full- or part-time. This position is at the heart of our mission and the front lines of changing the lives of our participants and their families, requiring the employee to be onsite and in direct service with the clients. Transportation in company-owned vehicles is necessary, and participation in training, events, and other activities after normal program hours may be required.
Physical or Mental Requirements:
Participation in the weekday program involves daily exercise, physical activity during community outings, and class instruction, including walking and active participation with clients. As a human services position, intentional self-care is crucial to avoid compassion fatigue and professional burnout. While clients served may not intentionally exhibit violent behaviors, occasional unpredictable or out-of-the-ordinary behaviors may occur, necessitating awareness and appropriate response.
This full- or part-time position offers a starting rate of $18/hour.
Full-time benefits include:
- Medical (lowest premium option is 80% employer paid)
- Dental/Vision (50% employer paid)
- Life ADD (employer paid)
- Simple IRA (3% employer match)
- PTO and Sick Leave accrual
- 18 paid holidays (including two five-day summer and winter breaks that are left to the discretion of our Board of Directors)
How to Apply
Join Our Inclusive and Empowering Community!
At Friends Life Community, we are dedicated to fostering a culture of belonging, self-advocacy, and innovation. If you are ready to be a part of a team that brings joy and fulfillment to the Friends and their families, we invite you to join our journey of inclusion and empowerment. Together, let’s make a positive impact in the lives of our Friends and the community!
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references to email@example.com. Position open until filled.
- Date Posted: February 7, 2024
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Salary Range: $18/hr
- Working Hours: 40hrs/week; includes occasional nights and weekends