Tennessee Justice for Our Neighbors
Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant
Tennessee Justice for Our Neighbors
The Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant will be a full-time, non-exempt employee. He/she will work under the supervision of the Legal Director, with a primary focus on performing tasks in support of TNJFON attorneys and clients. The Legal Administrative Assistant may also be responsible for carrying out other general administrative tasks as directed by the Executive Director. This position requires written and verbal communication in English and Spanish.
MAJOR DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Will be first point of contact for all inquiries, by telephone and in person, from clients (existing and potential) and community members;
- Communicate TNJFON mission, services, service model and intake process to clients and community members;
- Track and relay messages from clients and community members to other TNJFON staff and vice-versa;
- Refer clients to appropriate community resources including other non-profit organizations and private immigration practitioners if TNJFON attorneys are unable to assist.
Legal Service Support
- Schedule client appointments as directed by TNJFON attorneys; communicate to clients the documents, information and, if applicable, fees required for each appointment; and send appointment reminders by voice or text, as appropriate;
- Provide Spanish to English and English to Spanish interpreting at client appointments, in the course of preparing USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) applications and immigration court filings, and at USCIS interviews;
- Draft documents, including assisting in the preparation of forms, statements, affidavits, cover letters, motions, petitions, briefs, and appeals;
- Translate forms, letters, declarations, and foreign documents from Spanish to
English and English to Spanish.
- Communicate TNJFON advice and counsel clinic model to potential clinic clients, schedule appointments for clinic and provide appointment reminders, via text or voice, as appropriate;
- Coordinate with supervising TNJFON Staff Attorney to ensure that sufficient resources, including appropriate number of volunteers and interpreters, are confirmed for all scheduled clinics;
- Attend clinics, as needed, to provide administrative and interpreting support to TNJFON attorneys and clinic volunteers.
- Responsible for handling all incoming mail, including sorting and distributing, as well as documenting and tracking correspondence related to client cases;
- Assist TNJFON attorneys with preparing, tracking, copying and sending outgoing mail when necessary; and
- Copy documents for TNJFON attorneys and clients.
Data and Case Management
- Responsible for handling TNJFON attorney requests to open new cases, or close existing cases;
- Update and document client interactions, client-related mail and internal case status in case management system;
- Maintain deadlines using case management system;
- Maintain and update case count information and data tracking as cases are opened and closed.
- Assist Executive Director with tasks as requested.
- Represent TNJFON at community events and functions as requested
- Committed to the TNJFON mission;
- Consistent punctual attendance;
- Minimum 1 year experience in secretarial or administrative experience, preferably in the legal field;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Fluent in verbal and written Spanish;
- Excellent computer processing skills;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Self starter;
- Ability to prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail; and
- Preference given to experience in working with trauma survivors.
- Must be able to create a compassionate, supportive work environment for interns, volunteers, children, clients and staff. Must have a positive demeanor; poised and comfortable in relating to a variety of people in multiple settings. Must be welcoming to all diverse backgrounds including sexual orientation, gender identification, race, religion, and disability.
The Bilingual Legal Administrative Assistant is entitled to all benefits and leave time as described in the personnel policies and procedures which include vacation/medical leave, health insurance, and retirement match.
How to Apply
Submit Resume, Cover Letter and Three References to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 10, 2023.
- Date Posted: January 19, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 03/01/2023
- Salary Range: $33,000 to $40,000
- Working Hours: 37.5 hrs/wk; M-F, 9:00am - 5:00pm