Bicycle Skills Instructor
Bike Fun is looking for a part-time contract bicycle skills instructor for 2023. This person will be providing one-on-one lessons for private bicycle students as well as collaborating with other Bike Fun contractors to lead small group classes on bicycle riding skills and basic bicycle maintenance.
This position will comprise between 5-15 hours a week of instruction of small group classes or one-on-one lessons. Hours per week are set by class and lesson schedule and can be flexible. Travel within Davidson County, Sumner County, and Williamson County may be required.
Availability on weekends is essential, though you may not need to work all day. Work during the week is limited but potentially available. You will be provided with a basic toolkit and 2-3 shadow shifts to learn about our instructional method and mission.
Desired contract period is from May through October; however, shorter contract periods can be considered.
- Instructing learn to ride and intermediate riding skills to students from different backgrounds and levels of experience.
- Basic bike repair ability (can teach you this!)
- Ability to assess a student’s capability and work within their range
- Work with students from age 5 to 75 in a respectful, encouraging manner
- Enjoyment of bicycle riding
- Ability to break down complex concepts
- Ability to stand, jog, or ride for 30-60 minute stretches
- Applicant must be 18+
- Nice to have: first aid experience
- Nice to have: verbal fluency in languages other than English
- 4 hour monthly retainer paid up front
- $30/hour pay rate (1099)
- Access to bicycle mechanic expertise as needed for your own personal bicycle
- Access to member rates for the Center for Nonprofit Management courses and seminars
- Access to member rates for the League of American Bicyclists courses and seminars
- Possibility of certification through the League of American Bicyclists with tuition paid by Bike Fun
- Coaching/mentoring from experienced instructors
How to Apply
Send a letter of introduction and resume to KJ Garner at email@example.com. Please include any relevant instructional experience as well as your experience with bicycle riding.
Bike Fun would like to have this position filled and instructor training commencing by mid April 2023.
Bike Fun encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups in the bicycling industry such as women, BIPOC individuals, and LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- Date Posted: January 31, 2023
- Type: Contract / Temp
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 04/19/2023
- Salary Range: $30/hr
- Working Hours: 5-15 hrs/wk