The Urban Land Institute (ULI) is a member-led research and education organization focused on shaping the future of the built environment for transformative impact in communities worldwide. The ULI Nashville District Council advances the mission of ULI at a local level. The ULI Nashville District Council was founded in 2008 and includes over 800 members across occupations related to real estate and land use.
ULI’s Mission Commitments, and the focus of ULI Nashville’s work, include:
- Accelerating decarbonization and net zero in development
- Increasing attainable housing
- Educating the next generation of diverse leaders
As a member-led organization, ULI’s strength lies in its members’ industry knowledge and expertise. Members advance ULI’s mission, grow professionally, and benefit the Nashville and Middle Tennessee community through ULI Nashville programming and serving on Committees, Action Councils, Affinity Groups and Initiatives. ULI Nashville is hiring full-time Associate to lead its signature/major event planning, manage its UrbanPlan program, and manage marketing/communications efforts.
ULI Nashville works remotely, with staff members living in Middle Tennessee to attend in-person staff meetings and committee meetings and to provide onsite support for events.
The Associate is a professional position and an integral part of the ULI Nashville District Council team. The Associate will support the Executive Director and Manager in Nashville to ensure that the district council’s goals and objectives are met.
The Associate focuses on three areas:
- Event planning for ULI Nashville’s two annual, signature events – Emerging Trends in Real Estate Breakfast and the Excellence in Development Awards.
- Implementing and growing ULI Nashville’s UrbanPlan program.
- Marketing and communications for ULI Nashville.
The Associate is one of the faces of ULI Nashville – members will call on the Associate for assistance and information, so it is imperative that she or he be friendly, professional, and an informed resource about ULI. The Associate must take initiative and responsibility and demonstrate meticulous attention to both details and deadlines. The Associate must also have professional oral and written communication and interpersonal skills to communicate with senior business and public sector executives. The ideal candidate will have a passion for real estate development and urban planning and possess excellent communication and organizational skills.
The position necessitates the Associate be able to travel occasionally to District Council events throughout the area and attend meetings, events or programs in the early mornings or evenings. Occasional travel to headquarters in Washington, D.C. and possibly to annual member meetings is required.
The Associate’s overall responsibility is to support the ULI Nashville District Council, including working closely with volunteer committee members and ULI staff to execute programming, events and marketing/communications.
Signature/Major Events – The Associate will be the lead staff on logistical planning for two signature events – Emerging Trends in Real Estate Breakfast (Emerging Trends, which is planned in conjunction with the volunteer-led Capital Markets Action Council) and the Excellence in Development Awards (Awards, which is planned in conjunction with the volunteer-led Programming/Awards Committee).
The Associate will be responsible for event-planning tasks including but not limited to:
- Securing venues, catering, audio/visual and other contractors, including contract negotiation, review and billing, under supervision of the Executive Director.
- Obtain and distribute certificate of insurance and tax-exempt status.
- Ordering catering and handling room setup.
- Creating meeting materials.
- Determining the needed number and type of volunteers for a successful event.
- Lead event communications.
UrbanPlan – The Associate will manage logistics for the UrbanPlan development simulation workshops. The Associate will work closely with Executive Director and the volunteer led UrbanPlan Steering Committee to determine the direction and growth of the UrbanPlan program.
The Associate will be responsible for:
- Working with the UrbanPlan Steering Committee to
- recruit, train and support UrbanPlan volunteers,
- manage logistics of the existing UrbanPlan workshops,
- maintain inventory of supplies, and manage delivery/pick up of supplies for workshops,
- coordinate workshop volunteers, and
- coordinate post-workshop evaluations.
- Work with Executive Director and UrbanPlan Steering Committee to plan and implement measured, sustainable growth of UrbanPlan across high schools, colleges/universities, community leaders and public officials.
- Coordinate, lead and conduct follow up for UrbanPlan Steering Committee Meetings.
Communications and Marketing – The Associate will join ULI Nashville senior staff in determining the district council’s communications and marketing goals and will be lead staff on implementation, working closely with ULI Nashville’s Marketing/Communications Committee.
The Associate will be responsible for:
- Support the Marketing/Communications committee on their initiatives and campaigns.
- Share prepared marketing/communication content through e-Blasts, website, and social media.
- Update the district council website and social media outlets, using ULI’s content management systems, including marketing for upcoming events, district council news, members in the news, and other pertinent activities.
- Maintain an active social media presence for ULI Nashville on LinkedIn and Instagram.
- Keep abreast of and master new communication technology, software, and social media and assist with their implementation (e.g., networking websites, digital video editing, etc.).
- Incorporate the ULI brand in communications and deliverables.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and/or two-three years relevant work experience in events management/planning, nonprofit administration, marketing/communications, and/or volunteer coordination.
- Proactive, positive attitude and desire to work in collaborative environments.
- Ability to initiate tasks and assume responsibility for them, and to work with minimal supervision in a high-production position.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, handle multiple tasks concurrently and completely, and complete tasks on time, with attention to detail and responsible follow-through.
- Ability to attend early morning and evening events required
- Strong, professional oral and written communication, including exceptional spelling and grammar.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, basic PDF-file manipulation, and communications software required
- Design skills and/or experience with Illustrator, Photoshop a plus.
- Professional knowledge of and competency with social media including LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Contract negotiation experience preferred.
- Ability to learn new technologies and systems quickly.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, as needed.
- Ability to travel to events throughout the region with use of personal vehicle.
- Knowledge of the Nashville/Middle Tennessee real estate market preferred.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and/or two-to-three years relevant work experience in events management/planning, nonprofit administration, marketing/communications, and/or volunteer coordination.
ULI has a robust benefits package that includes health, dental, and life insurance; vacation leave; and a retirement plan. Compensation is commensurate with experience. For more information, click here.
How to Apply
To apply, please follow the link below. Please submit a résumé and a letter of interest.
ULI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion/creed, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran or active military status, non-citizenship or citizenship status, arrest or conviction record, credit history, salary history, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, familial status, unemployment status, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual violence, or any other status protected by applicable law.
EOE/m/f/d/v. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time.
- Date Posted: February 8, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Other