Tennessee Bar Association
Assistant Executive Director
Tennessee Bar Association
The Tennessee Bar Association is now accepting applications from candidates interested in the position of Assistant Executive Director. If you are interested in a leadership role at a dynamic organization with a collaborative team, this position is a great opportunity for you.
The full-time Assistant Executive Director position is responsible for overseeing and supporting the administrative functions of the TBA, as well as the teams responsible for IT, marketing, continuing education, and communications. The TBA currently works in a hybrid arrangement.
Essential Job Duties
Manages TBA Staff
- Recommends administrative policies and procedures.
- Assigns or reviews assignments of work to ensure efficient and coordinated use of staff.
- Oversees training and development of staff; coaches employees.
- Evaluate the performance of subordinates and oversee the evaluation of staff.
- Disciplines staff if needed and recommends termination of employees if necessary.
- Manages employee compensation in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Interviews job candidates and makes hiring recommendations.
Oversees CLE and Programs Functions
- Ensures evaluation of member needs and budgetary constraints.
- With function heads, plans organization activities and initiatives.
- Coordinates development of operating policies relative to membership, publications, information management, CLE, sections/committee interactions, etc.
- Evaluate responsiveness of TBA to member needs; recommend changes as appropriate.
Supervises Communication Function
- Plans, assigns, and coordinates work.
- Provides work direction and assistance as needed.
- Reviews work of communications staff; edits print materials and suggests changes or enhancements.
- Evaluate the work performance of communications staff employees.
Completes Special Projects
- Ensures development of technology to support CLE programming, electronic newsletter, social media, accounting, etc.; manages relationships with and coordinates activities of technology contractors and vendors; negotiates contracts.
- Plans and coordinates completion of special projects related to enhancing Association services, improving operational efficiency, or responding to requests from Association leadership.
- Coordinates contributions of TBA staff and external resources as needed.
Oversees Development of Marketing Materials
- Oversees marketing plan for membership recruitment and CLE programs; solicits input from and coordinates with other staff.
- Reviews and assists with the creation of brochures, ads, web pages, PowerPoint presentations, videos, etc.
Oversees TBA Website and Social Media
- Directs design and development of website content; develops specifications for contracted website developers.
- Evaluate website performance; monitor electronic distribution lists.
- Provides website-related support to TBA staff to ensure high-quality, useful, and timely content.
- Oversees online advertising with communications staff.
- Oversees the use of social media to promote TBA, inform members, and promote members.
Contributes to Association Management and Member Relations
- Responds to questions from members and others concerning TBA services.
- Participates in Board of Governor and committee meetings as appropriate; reviews and/or presents reports of various aspects of TBA operations.
- Participates in overall Association management; contributes to short-term and long-term planning.
Other Job Duties Performs other job duties as assigned, including:
- Participates in association industry professional associations.
- Performs related duties as required.
Proficiency in the following competencies is required for distinguished performance in this position:
- Planning skills
- Delegation skills
- Knowledge of website development and administration
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of marketing principles
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Background or experience in communications or media relations
- Coaching and staff development skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Skilled in selecting, learning, and implementing new technology
Smartphones, computers, video conferencing, printers, photocopiers, cameras, and video cameras. Must be comfortable with utilizing video conferencing/virtual platforms. Other equipment as required due to changes in office needs or technology.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The incumbent works in an office environment (currently hybrid). Occasional overnight travel is required.
Qualifications Education and Experience:
The required knowledge, skills, and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through the attainment of a bachelor’s degree in a discipline that provides a foundation for this position. In addition, the position requires a minimum of five years of general management experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Tennessee Bar Association was recently named a “Best Place to Work” by the Nashville Business Journal and one of “Nashville’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For” by the National Association for Business Resources. The TBA offers a full slate of benefits to its employees, including a 401(k) retirement plan, access to a group health insurance plan, days off for vacation, personal use and illnesses, and a flexible work schedule. Staff work in a hybrid setting, spending time each week working remotely and in person.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and a resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org attn: Tanja Trezise at Human Resources and Administrative Coordinator.
- Date Posted: November 14, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 01/02/2024
- Working Hours: 40, MF