Chief Data & Technology Officer
PENCIL’S VISION AND CORE COMMITTMENTS:
PENCIL exists to create a world where Metro Nashville Public School (MNPS) students and teachers have equitable access to resources and opportunities, empowering students to succeed now and in the future. We will do this by creating a community that respects the unique perspectives and experiences of all stakeholders through proactive listening, continuous learning, and tireless advocacy for every student.
Our work is guided by the needs of MNPS, is student centric, and is achieved through intentional partnerships and tangible engagements.
As the PENCIL team, we will:
- Be collaborative and inclusive —By encouraging conversations that amplify and uplift the voices of all students and communities, especially those marginalized by inequitable systems.
- Act with transparency and integrity — By striving to continually educate ourselves, intentionally recruit and retain diverse staff and stakeholders, and encourage everyone to share their authentic perspectives and experiences to our work.
- Demonstrate kindness and gratitude— By valuing the unique experiences that each student, staff, and community member bring to our work.
The Chief Data and Technology Officer is a strategic analyst and vision setter who proactively oversees all organization data and technology to assure maximum efficiency of staff, engagement of volunteers and investment of donors. This position ultimately develops and drives the systems which collect and synthesize data, providing on-going assessment of PENCIL data needs, researching options and implementing best strategies. Additionally, this position is accountable for directing the information and data integrity and maintaining the integrity of all electronic records of PENCIL. The Chief Data and Technology Officer should regularly demonstrate thorough ownership of all aspects of technology and data utilization, while serving as the primary point of contact for internal/external tech and data needs. The Chief Data and Technology Officer partners with executive management to define strategic plans and implement the objectives prioritized by the management team, as well as advise senior management on technology and data in support of PENCIL’s business goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (include but not limited to):
- Establishes goals, objectives and operating procedures and provide effective management and leadership for all information technology functions; Develop vision and establish direction for technology and data while managing day to day activities of PENCIL’s technology and data team
- Identifies changes and trends in computer and systems technology and interprets their meaning to senior management; participates in overall business planning, bringing a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems as related to the organization’s competitive position
- Oversees PENCIL’s Salesforce database—including user maintenance, generation of reports and dashboards, and creation of new customizations that directly support the work of specific departments within PENCIL
- Determines long-term PENCIL-wide information needs and develops overall strategy for information needs, systems development, and hardware acquisition
- Guides tech and data staff and volunteers for success at overall technology goals and objectives by actively coaching and facilitating their work and professional growth
- Acts to ensure integrity of organization-wide data, proprietary information, and related intellectual property through information security and access
- Trains all PENCIL staff, and other users, on data/systems collection and utilization; creates and regularly updates documentation of best practices to aid in the user experience; routinely provides updated training to users; thoroughly documents administrative functions
- Provides technical/troubleshooting support to staff—proactively and reactively; proactively communicating with senior leadership and stakeholders on PENCIL’s technology process, status, risk, and/or concerns
- Ensure IT systems/applications are compliant with applicable laws and regulations (data protection systems)
- Communicates IT plans, policies, and technology trends throughout the organization, including management and staff
- Regularly monitors data hygiene to ensure that records are thorough, accurate and complete; routinely reviews data to assure that success with benchmark targets is tracking appropriately; alerts management team if there are concerns in any target areas
- Serves as information technology project manager for any new tools or applications—participates in evaluation process of products; has understanding and is able to communicate needs of application; tests, updates, and provides feedback on any beta releases of application; creates and oversees plan for rollout to PENCIL community
- EDUCATION – Bachelors or master’s in computer science, Information Technology or related field
- SKILLS –
- Knowledge of Product Development Lifecycle and DevOps Tools
- A thorough understanding of Salesforce Development Processes
- Proficient in using cloud-based systems/CRMs
- Proactively prioritizes needs and effectively manages resources
- Experience in direct, hands-on collaboration with developers, business analysts, product managers and consultants
- Experience leading multiple IT initiatives that support the entire organization
- Superior interpersonal skills; ability to effectively interact with PENCIL staff, partners, volunteers and other community stakeholders
- Takes ownership of assigned responsibilities and follows through on outstanding issues
- Guides individuals and groups toward desired outcomes, setting high performance standards and delivering leading quality services
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; communicates clearly and concisely
- Highly organized with a strong work ethic and a ‘can do’ attitude
- Able to keep accurate and detailed documentation
- Creative problem-solver, set goals, and meet deadlines
- Ability to collect, process, and interpret data
- EXPERIENCE – 5 – 7 years of total IT experience with at least 3-5 years of Salesforce project development experience
- LICENSES – Salesforce Administrator Certification
- CONFIDENTIALITY – ability to manage sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner as outlined in PENCIL’s Confidentiality Policy
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Able to work independently and proactively without daily instruction is critical but must work in a team environment as well.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous activity during volunteer shifts
- Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects and materials.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, climb and balance
WORK SCHEDULE & HOURS:
Full time Position, Work hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00AM – 5:00PM
This job profile is not intended to be all inclusive of tasks required, it is to provide a general description of essential job responsibilities.
PENCIL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, 401K match,and PTO
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should apply using the following link by Friday, August 12th: https://pencil.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=24&source=aWQ9MjM%3D
A complete application will include:
- Cover letter
- Performance task (2 Options)
- Option1: Develop a 1-2 page “how to” guide for staff to use when creating a report in Salesforce. Using your guide, staff should be able to successfully create reports related to the data that is most salient to their role.
- Option 2: Develop a 1-2 page training guide for how staff can best use data to drive their work. Task should include your philosophy regarding data and be anchored in industry best practices related to data collection and analysis. The data that you use in your performance task can be anchored in your current role/industry.
- 3 References
Please email email@example.com, if you have any questions about this position. Please ne phone inquiries.
- Date Posted: September 2, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Education
- Salary Range: 85,000-95,000
- Working Hours: Work hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00AM – 5:00PM