We create, perform, teach, and promote dance as an essential and inspiring element of our community.
Nashville Ballet is an accessible and inclusive organization that creates community through excellent and innovative dance and dance education; is recognized locally, nationally, and internationally for artistry, community engagement, and financial sustainability; and is a rewarding and satisfying place to work.
Our Enduring Values
- We believe in the transformative power of art.
- We inspire appreciation for the art of ballet.
- We strive for excellence with integrity in all we do.
- We respect one another and the art form.
The understanding of and the ability to not only support but celebrate our culture is essential to each and every person at Nashville Ballet.
Nashville Ballet Diversity Statement:
Nashville Ballet is invested in creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community. We believe we can best achieve our mission by creating a climate of respect that is supportive of all voices, celebrating diverse stories, increasing arts access, and sparking communal discussion about our community and our world through our art form and our artistic programming. When considering the diversity of the Nashville Ballet community, we look at all aspects, including: race, gender, age, socioeconomic status, special needs, geographic (rural/urban), and sexual orientation. However, Nashville Ballet recognizes the racial inequalities that have plagued the dance world for far too long and is deeply committed to educating our constituencies on systemic racism, engaging in antiracist work in every branch of our organization, and doing our part to abolish racial inequalities in ballet.
Nashville Ballet provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Description for Executive Assistant
Position: Executive Assistant
Reports To: Senior Manager of Board Engagement; with additional oversight by the Artistic and Executive Directors
Area of Responsibility: Administration
Wage Classification: Salaried, Exempt
Position Summary: The Executive Assistant is responsible for supporting the work of the Artistic Director (AD) and Executive Director (ED), managing the daily schedule for and access to the AD and ED,
and providing administrative support for their correspondence with both internal and external audiences. This position also provides administrative support to the Board of Directors with all communications and scheduling, as well as committee work and task force work. The Executive Assistant will work closely with the Senior Manager of Board Engagement to assist with office coordination and collaboration throughout the entire organization.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Artistic Director and Executive Director Support
- Support the work activities of the AD and ED; provide organizational support for AD and ED as needed/directed
- Proactively manage the work calendar of the AD and ED and arrange travel
- Act as representative and gatekeeper to AD and ED, arranging meetings and conferences internally and externally, managing visitors, answering phone calls, managing contacts, etc.
- Organize, maintain, and assume custodial responsibilities for AD and ED documents, files, and records
- Create and manage correspondence for AD and ED as needed/directed
- Active involvement in all AD and ED scheduling, projects and initiatives to provide backup and keep communication active both to Ballet employees and Board of Directors if AD and ED is unavailable
- Assist with organizational internal and external scheduling as assigned by Senior Manager of Board Engagement
- Work closely with Company and Artistic Relations Manager to manage artistic schedule and studio time for AD
- In collaboration with Development department, support AD and ED’s roles with major donors as assigned
- Assistance with contracts logistics as assigned by Company and Artistic Relations Manager
Board of Directors Support
- Serve as contact between Artistic Director, Executive Director, and Board members and committees
- Exercise judgment in maintaining Board information as confidential
- Oversee some Board and committee meeting aspects in a timely and proactive manner
- Send meeting notices and take RSVPs
- Send out Board packets and print as necessary
- Schedule set-up by staff
- Create minutes of meetings
- Maintain Board member directories, contact lists and committee lists
- Schedule new Board member orientations and create Board packets
- Help coordinate committee meeting times and efforts
- Update organizational documents (organizational chart, phone directories, etc.)
- Sort and distribute mail
- Copy machine support
- Ordering catering for internal Nashville Ballet events
- Answer and direct callers
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are a non-exhaustive list of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to handle, feel, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms above the shoulder. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative to those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Interest/passion in the arts
- Ability to take initiative and make decisions to solve problems independently
- Ability to engage and interact with the public
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly organized
- Word processing/spreadsheet/database skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize those tasks
- Experience: 1 year administrative experience or equivalent experience, preferably with an arts organization. Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite.
- Equipment: standard office equipment including computer and software, phone, copier, etc.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate description of the current job, or to require that other, or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs or technological developments).
How to Apply
Nashville Ballet is an equal opportunity employer.
To be considered for the position, please email the items below in one PDF-formatted file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Executive Assistant” as the email’s subject line.
- A substantive cover letter including the following information: where you found the position listed, your interest in the position and the organization, the date you are available to start, and contact information for three professional references.
- A résumé no longer than 2 pages outlining your educational and professional experience.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered nor will submissions sent via postal mail or fax. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to review our website at www.nashvilleballet.com prior to submitting materials for consideration. No phone calls, please.
- Date Posted: June 16, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Arts / Culture