YMCA of Middle Tennessee
Y Literacy Area Coordinator
YMCA of Middle Tennessee
Consistent with the Christian mission and vision of the YMCA of Middle Tennessee, and in cooperation with other YMCA staff, under the direction of the Senior Literacy Specialist, the Y-Literacy Area Coordinator will assume all duties necessary to promote, organize, and administer the Y-Literacy program throughout Middle Tennessee. They will provide quality programming, implementation of curriculum, activities, and meet all grant requirements/outcomes for the Y-Literacy programs. The Y-Literacy Area Coordinator will maintain positive relationships with YMCA staff, school staff, and outreach participants and parents.
- Model the YMCA core values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
- Model and put into practice behavior that supports inclusion and diversity
- Recruit, train, and retain volunteer reading tutors
- Direct volunteer based after school reading intervention program to improve language and reading skills
- Help connect families and parents to other resources in the area such as public libraries, educational opportunities, and events.
- Work directly with the Senior Literacy Specialist in developing programming, planning and overseeing general program operations
- Assist the family of the struggling reader by providing resources such as a lending library and workshops to help guide parents in their role as the first teacher for the reader
- Conduct pre-test/post-test analysis to gauge children’s reading level
- Serve as mentor to tutors, parents, students and staff providing reading enrichment opportunities
- Participate in special events, activities and meetings in which the Y-Literacy program is involved, including staff meetings, trainings and assigned committees
- Track written information on all participants and volunteers in compliance with company policy and grant requirements
- Input data in a timely manner and follow grant guidelines established by various funders
- Be present and visible in the corresponding centers; this is a traveling program coordinator position which ensures compliance, provides supervision and support to offsite programing
- Participate in YMCA volunteer programs and the Annual Giving Campaign
- Manage individual files and P-Card transactions to ensure completion
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service training as required by the YMCA, Senior Literacy Specialist, and YCAP Leadership
- Assist in controlling and maintaining literacy supplies and inventory at center sites
Passion, enthusiasm, and commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA
An enthusiastic personality with the ability to inspire and motivate, volunteers, school partners, and participants to create a culture of service within our Centers and program. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- Must present a professional image and possess conflict resolution skills, and demonstrate sound judgment and initiative
- Must be highly organized with the ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information
- Must be efficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to travel to multiple locations and ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and occasional Saturdays
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Bachelor’s degree with literacy related courses preferred
- Three years of experience in education (PreK-4) or related experience; background in youth development preferred.
- Before start of 1st shift: New Hire Orientation training;
- Within two weeks of hire or before 1st shift with children (whichever comes first): Basic CPR/First Aid/AED
- Within 60 days of hire: Listen First training
For more information about working for the YMCA of Middle Tennessee, please visit ymcamidtn.org/careers.
How to Apply
Click HERE to apply online.
- Date Posted: August 31, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: Starts at $1,368 - $1,445 per pay period, depending on experience (26 pay periods per year)
- Working Hours: Monday - Friday, typically 8am - 5pm