Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee
Who we are: Since 1978, Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee, a member of Feeding America™, has been providing food to our more than 1 million neighbors at risk of hunger in middle and west Tennessee. In support of our mission, which is “to provide food to people facing hunger and work to advance hunger solutions” – last year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.5 million nutritious meals to hungry children, families and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. To learn more about out work, visit our website secondharvestmidtn.org and our social media.
What you’ll do:
Summary: Greets, trains, motivates and manages volunteers responsible for food-sorting activities in a warehouse environment. Ensures volunteer satisfaction by engaging with individuals and groups and effectively sharing our mission and their impact. Collaborates with community engagement and development team members on events and initiatives to raise awareness and engage the community in Rutherford County and the Southern Region of our service area.
- Hands-on volunteer management and customer service: Leads volunteer groups through food sorting, repackaging and assembly projects.
- Volunteer database: Schedules, tracks hours and assists volunteers with the VolunteerHub database.
- Project/supplies management and food safety: Ensures that all volunteer projects are completed correctly and efficiently.
- Operations procedures/ Inventory control: Ensures accurate inventory control and communicates with the Operations department daily to coordinate the movement of palletized food and needed supplies.
- Community Engagement: Actively seeks out and maintains an active presence in the community through collaboration with donors, partners and stakeholders. Solicits, plans, coordinates and implements community education events with schools, corporate partners, faith communities and individuals.
When & Where:
- Schedule: Typical daytime hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM working primarily at our distribution center in Smyrna. The current workweek schedule is Monday – Thursday and alternating Fridays and Saturdays from 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Additionally includes, one monthly evening volunteer shift (2nd Wednesday from 5:30 – 8:00 PM) and may increase to weekly in the future. Nights and Saturdays are required, with other schedule flexibility as needed.
- Flexibility: our flexible work program is a strategic tool to achieve organizational goals, empower employees to do their best work and foster engagement by supporting high performance, business continuity as well as wellbeing and work-life-balance. WorkFlex arrangements are complex, specific to individuals and roles and include the following options: alternative schedule, compressed week, reduced/ part-time, job sharing, remote day and telecommuting.
- Essential business/ first responder: In instances of a federal, state or locally declared emergency, Second Harvest is typically considered an essential business service and emergency responder. All employees may be required to perform regular or emergent duties on-site. Employee safety is balanced with business and community necessity. Some positions are more likely to be required on-site than others.
Is this you?
- Education: High School Diploma (or equivalent) required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Experience: 2+ years of related experience and/ or training.
- Skills: Strong communication and public speaking; attuned to others through active listening; strong customer service, influencing/ motivating and interpersonal skills; effectively delegates and coordinates tasks to others; excellent time management skills; flexible and reliable team player; exchanges information efficiently and effectively manages one’s own time as well as collaborates with and presents to diverse audiences in a variety of settings.
- Other requirements: our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
What Second Harvest has to offer:
Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands-on and solutions-oriented. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results. Our mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community. In the 2020 fiscal year, we distributed more than 41 million pounds of food to more than 460 Partner Agencies, providing more than 36.9 million meals to hungry children, families, and seniors throughout our 46-county service area. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work. If you are passionate about serving your neighbors in need and are committed to our mission of ending hunger, we invite you to join our 120+ person team in the fight against hunger, as we work to achieve our vision of a hunger-free community.
Award-winning workplace: we are a best-in-class workplace because we are passionate and people-focused – we listen, respect, care and challenge each other, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. Our employees have identified us among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces seven times based solely on employee surveys and feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program. We focus on staff physical and mental health, financial empowerment, personal and professional development as well as social and community engagement. There is ample opportunity to be engaged and grow with Second Harvest.
Compensation & Benefits: Second Harvest is proud to offer rich and affordable total compensation packages. Total compensation for full-time employment includes many benefits, in addition to base pay. The paid days off policies include: 10 holidays, 15 vacation, 12 sick and personal time, as required by law. Traditional benefits offered include medical (employee-only coverage paid 100% by employer) dental and vision. Additional available benefits include annual bonus potential, annual performance reviews with potential merit pay increases, flexible work, retirement (with a generous employer match), disability insurance (short and long-term), life insurance as well as long-term care insurance.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented and diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
Think this sounds like a role and workplace where you would thrive? Apply now!
You can express interest in joining our team, in any of the following ways:
- Online: employment application on our website: http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=apply&gni=8a7885ac7ad00359017af3831d401c52&gns=CNM. Resume and cover letter can be uploaded with applications on the website as well.
- Email: Resume and cover letter can be sent to our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In person: applications can be completed by visiting us on-site at any of our distribution centers, locations can be found on our website: secondharvestmidtn.org/contact.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee – we love it here and think you will too!
- Date Posted: November 12, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Social / Human Services