Tennessee Legal Community Foundation
Tennessee Bar Journal Editor
Tennessee Legal Community Foundation
Responsible for producing the Tennessee Bar Journal and related media products, including TBJ Select and content for TBA website and TBA-related social media accounts. Production of Tennessee Bar Journal involves facilitating review of submitted articles, directing layout and design, researching and writing articles and proofreading. The printed Journal is published six times a year, TBJ Select 24 times per year.
Essential Job Duties
A. Procures Articles for Tennessee Bar Journal
- Maintains database of submitted articles; screens submissions for adherence to
general editorial standards and to determine scheduling.
- Submits articles to Editorial Board for review; collects feedback.
- Corresponds with authors to confirm receipt and resolve questions; conveys
reviewers’ suggestions if rewrite needed. Drafts and secures signatures on author
copyright agreement letters.
- Compiles materials for consultation with Editorial Board Chair; facilitates development
of agenda for Editorial Board meeting and facilitates meeting.
- Follows Board direction regarding acceptance of articles.
B. Directs Production of Journal
- Inputs and organizes text.
- Works with Advertising and Media Content Coordinator regarding ad creation and
placement and freelance designer concerning layout of each issue of Journal;
participates in planning artwork and other aspects of the publication.
- Proofreads text.
- Reviews printer’s proof.
- Works with printer to ensure compliance with deadlines and adherence to content and
C. Writes News or Feature Articles
- Researches articles; conducts interviews.
- Writes and proofs articles; obtains approval of Editorial Board as required.
- Repurposes Journal content into stories for TBA Today, TBJ Select, other
publications and social media.
D. Contributes to and assists in production of electronic newsletters.
- Gathers relevant news items from staff and other sources; proofreads and edits as needed.
- Gathers and formats daily court decisions for newsletter.
- Consults with supervisor and Executive Director concerning review and approval of items.
- Formats and e–mails newsletter.
E. Monitors and Contributes to Social Media
- Monitors TBA social media accounts to ensure appropriateness of content.
- Contributes to and assists in production of content for TBA web site and social media,
especially identifying opportunities to promote TBJ contributors.
F. Performs Related Miscellaneous Duties
- Prepares annual postal statement of ownership and files for copyright.
- As requested, proofreads materials developed by other TBA staff.
- Oversees Joe Henry Award writing contest; coordinates contest judging process;
assists in arranging presentation of award.
- Responds to questions from members and others concerning past TBJ articles and
similar communications related inquiries.
Other Job Duties
Performs other job duties as assigned, including:
- Assists in planning and coordinating meetings.
- Performs related duties as required.
Proficiency in the following competencies is required for distinguished performance in this position:
- Time management skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign and similar production-related software, and
current content management system.
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of periodical production, printing and mailing
- Writing, copywriting, proofreading skills using AP Style
- Attention to detail, as well as big-picture thinking
- General familiarity with legal profession.
Telephone, computer, printer, photocopier/scanner and camera.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The incumbent works in an office environment and/or remotely as dictated by TBA management.
Education and Experience: The required knowledge, skill and abilities to satisfactorily perform job duties are normally acquired through attainment of a bachelor’s degree in communications or related discipline and a minimum of four years of editing, copywriting and production experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Recently recognized as a “Best Place to Work” by the Nashville Business Journal, the TBA offers a full slate of benefits to its employees, including a 401(k) retirement plan, access to a group health insurance plan, days off for vacation, personal use and illnesses, and a flexible work schedule.
How to Apply
Send cover letter, resume and writing or editing samples by email to TBA Assistant Executive Director Barry Kolar at email@example.com.
- Date Posted: January 12, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 02/01/2022
- Working Hours: 40, MF