Urban Green Lab
Sustainable Classrooms Coordinator
Urban Green Lab
Help us empower classrooms to be more sustainable.
Urban Green Lab is searching for a full-time Sustainable Classrooms Coordinator to help us fulfill our mission of teaching communities how to live sustainably.
Urban Green Lab
We teach communities how to live sustainably. Founded in 2009, Urban Green Lab is working to make learning how to make more sustainable choices in Nashville, Tennessee, just a part of life. We organize, train, and connect people in classrooms, households, and workplaces – places where culture begins. Learn more about our story, people, and values here.
Urban Green Lab’s Sustainable Classrooms Coordinator is responsible for helping to facilitate learning while advancing educators’ sustainability journey within schools and informal education spaces. Supervised by the Assistant Director of Classrooms and in collaboration with the full Urban Green Lab team, the coordinator supports the division’s programs, which include the Sustainable Classrooms training, a professional learning community for educators, and other related programs. The position is full-time, exempt, and based in Nashville with a flexible work-life balance.
The Classrooms Division works with educators to develop a sustainability lens by building their confidence, providing tools, and cultivating the community needed to turn their classrooms into labs of learning about sustainable living. Sustainability education allows a student to connect to the larger world outside of their school’s walls while envisioning their role in a green economy and caring community. UGL frames its work around critical academic standards to demonstrate that collaborative learning, protecting our planet, and recognizing our impact on others are ideals that cut across subject and grade.
Our Educational Philosophy
We believe learning how to live sustainably should just be a part of life. That means it needs to be systemic and woven into the existing fabric of who we are. Learning how to make more sustainable choices should begin with thinking “upstream” about how we can protect what we care about most in all the places where we learn, work, and live. We think these spaces can serve as laboratories for learning, taking chances, and exploring our life-long responsibilities as stewards of the earth. To us, a little change goes a long way.
Work EnvironmentUrban Green Lab enjoys a flexible work-life balance and all staff are responsible for managing their own schedules during the week. Staff are expected to spend reasonable time with the team at our Marathon Village office and partners in the community. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, listen and feel, reach hands above the shoulder, occasionally stoop or crouch, and lift or move items weighing 10-25 pounds.
Urban Green Lab is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. Urban Green Lab welcomes applicants from a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and ideas.
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, requirements, or conditions. While intended to be accurate, it is not meant to exclude that other, different tasks may be required when circumstances change (such as during emergencies, personnel changes, workload alterations, rush jobs, or technological developments or advancements).
- Professional Learning Community: Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Classrooms to help shape and manage a new professional learning community to bring trained educators back to network, learn, and troubleshoot together. Continually research and update the online toolbox of community resources, co-lead meetings, maintain online community engagement, assist with meeting logistics, create and deploy newsletter, and manage evaluation and update Assistant Director of Classrooms on suggestions and trends.
- Operational Support: Support the Classrooms Division with data entry and recordkeeping through Salesforce, Google Workspace, and other platforms as needed. Manage event registration and attendance, provide follow-up communication, maintain metrics, update website, and track relationships. Assist with communication and social media needs for the division. Assist in evaluating the success of all related programs and identify opportunities to strengthen them.
- Event and Training Support: Collaborate with the Assistant Director of Classrooms on event planning and communication. Assist in the execution of events and support for invitations, event format, facilitation, and follow-up. Attend networking sessions, table at events, and participate in community gatherings as needed.
- Outreach and Relationship Building: Identify, build, and maintain relationships with stakeholders, with emphasis on increasing equity and reach of our programming. Brainstorm with Assistant Director of Classrooms on new methods of engaging educators on sustainability. Provide support to refine the strategic outreach plan for reaching the division’s goals. Collaborate on future student-facing strategy and content.
- Other Duties: Contribute to the program’s overall success by collaborating with the Development Manager on funding opportunities and the Communications Manager to share our program stories. Attend regular team meetings and represent the organization. Other duties as assigned.
We’re searching for someone who is the following:
- Passionately committed to Urban Green Lab’s mission and values
- Entrepreneurial and goal-orientated with a keen sense for innovation
- Proactive, dependable, and on-time – a team player to the core
- Diplomatic with excellent community relations and listening skills
- Positive and flexible with intellectual curiosity and ability to adjust to change
- Inclusive and empathetic with an understanding of what it means to be equitable
- Humble and gracious under pressure with a high sense of integrity and humor
Experience & Knowledge
We’re searching for someone who has the following ideal experience and skills:
- At least 1-2 years of professional or relevant academic experience
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and reporting meaningful data
- An understanding of sustainability, the environment, public health, or other related issues
- Clear oral and written communications skills
- Comfort working with diverse experts, stakeholders, educators, students, and the public
- Outstanding organization and communication skills
- Familiarity with training, education, or facilitating exchange of best practices is a plus.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position with a starting salary in the $47,000–$50,000 range. Exactly where a prospective employee will be paid within this range will depend on, among other factors, the candidate’s depth of experience and qualifications and the level of specialization the candidate has. Urban Green Lab reserves the right to adjust the title and salary range depending on the level of expertise of the candidate. Benefits include health insurance allowance (medical, dental, and vision), 408p match, cell phone stipend, team volunteering and service hours, professional development opportunities, 27 days of paid time off (which includes holidays of your choice and excludes sick leave), and 90 days of parental leave.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to Noah Spiegel, Sr. Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Combine all documents into one PDF file with your full name as the file name and write “Sustainable Classrooms Coordinator” in the email subject line. Incomplete submissions and follow-up inquiries will not be considered. Only applicants selected for consideration will be contacted. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. All correspondence is confidential. Background check required.
- Date Posted: January 5, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Education
- Start Date: 04/03/2023
- Salary Range: 47,000-50,000
- Working Hours: M-F 9:00am-5:00pm