Tennessee Higher Education Initiative
Student Success and Reentry Services Manager
Tennessee Higher Education Initiative
Tennessee Higher Education in Prison Initiative (THEI) seeks a full-time Student Success and Reentry Services (SSRS) Manager. The position will be primarily based at the THEI office in Nashville with trips across the state to our program sites. THEI’s Student Success and Reentry Services Portfolio of work seeks to disrupt systems of harm and create opportunities for autonomy and success through providing non-academic support services for students, both pre- and post-release from prison. Under the direction of the Director of SSRS, the SSRS Manager will oversee the day-to-day execution of the SSRS portfolio while collaborating closely with the other members of the THEI Programs team, working in partnership with the administration and staff at our partner prisons, and maintaining and developing partnerships between THEI and collaborating reentry service providers.
The ideal candidate can start before April 15th, 2022. Priority will be given to applicants who demonstrate a strong commitment to providing service to at-risk populations and understand the mission of THEI to be located within a larger social-justice movement and commitment to ending cycles of harm. We seek applicants who (1) have experience providing college admissions and financial aid support, college or career counseling, and/or wraparound services, (2) demonstrate excellent organizational and time management skills, (3) enjoy and thrive in establishing new systems, growing partnerships, and building networks, and (4) possess a strong commitment to breaking cycles of poverty and incarceration. Candidates with demonstrated ability to effectively manage small teams or with strong supervisory skills are preferred. Familiarity with Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC) practices, or knowledge of the Tennessee public higher education system and the landscape of reentry services/service providers in Tennessee are a benefit. We encourage individuals who have been impacted by the criminal-justice system to consider applying.
Some flexibility with work hours, including the ability to work some evenings and to travel overnight on a once- or twice-monthly basis is required. At present, the SSRS Manager will be at Turney Center (our Middle TN site) at least one evening a week, with monthly visits to our East and West TN sites, and will meet regularly with students on both sides of the bars, although travel schedules may shift in future semesters. This position will have some opportunities for remote work or flexible scheduling, but is primarily in-person. The ideal candidate must have a reliable car, and be comfortable working in a prison and collaborating with incarcerated individuals.
The position is a full-time exempt position. The starting salary is $60,000 per year, plus full medical/dental insurance and generous paid leave and holidays. The review of applications will begin immediately.
- Leadership and Management
- As THEI grows, and with support from THEI Leadership team, contribute to the hiring of SSRS Coordinators, facilitate onboarding of new SSRS staff members, and conduct annual Performance Growth Plan process for SSRS Coordinators.
- If applicable, manage SSRS Coordinators that are working one-on-one with students and alumni.
- Oversee and supervise SSRS portfolio’s data collection efforts and data entry to maintain consistency, evaluate impact, and ensure quality.
- Oversee calendar for student transitions and ensure that proper supports are in place for each person.
- Develop and grow THEI alumni network, and drive alumni professional-development agenda, with support from other members of the SSRS team.
- Manage and refine SSRS team’s internal communication systems, and maintain organized repository of SSRS team’s shared resources and files.
- Build relationships and rapport with all THEI students and alumni.
- Meet with students on a regular basis; advocate on behalf of students.
- Oversee the implementation of non-academic educational opportunities for THEI students, including (but not limited to): Financial literacy, non-violent communication, motivational interviewing, job readiness, parole coaching and reentry support.
- Research, compile, and develop quality resources and materials that help students navigate systems and challenges.
- Provide well-researched reentry advising and help students create strong, viable transition plans.
- Ensure students have access to all materials necessary to succeed in their reentry transitions, and ensure partners have the information needed for seamless handoffs.
- Stakeholder Partnerships
- Explore and build relationships with partners including reentry organizations, prison-based reentry staff and administrators, college partners, employers, and TN Department of Labor & Workforce Development, to develop and maintain a constellation of support services for THEI students.
- Serve as liaison between partners and students or SSRS coordinators in preparation for transitions, to ensure effective warm handoffs and continuity of support.
- Contribute to successful on-site implementation of college programs.
- Work with members of the Programs Team to manage volunteer relationships with prison facilities, including scheduling guest speakers and visiting experts.
- Participate in collectives and coalitions to share, advocate for, and evolve best practices for student support and reentry services in higher education in prison across the state and region.
- Bachelor’s degree (or clearly demonstrated 4+ years of experience in and mastery of navigating college admissions, registration, and financial aid systems or supporting individuals in navigating college systems).
- 3-5 years’ experience in program coordination, case management, social work, college or career counseling, or a related field.
- Experience effectively managing teams and/or supervising and supporting employees.
- A collaborative and communicative approach to working across teams, and energy for proactive relationship-building.
- Eagerness and excitement for systems-building, growing and maintaining partnerships, and building networks.
- Openness to creative problem solving.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word, Google Drive, search engine research, and communication platforms such as slack, whatsapp, text messaging, facebook messaging, etc. Experience utilizing Salesforce is beneficial, but not required.
- Strong written skills and ability to create visually appealing professional documents and templates.
- The ability to collect, organize and manage data.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to travel to and from prison on a regular basis.
- Flexible schedule including the ability to work some evenings and make overnight trips on a once- or twice-monthly basis.
- Must be eligible to be a badged TDOC contractor.
- Commitment to self-care and healthy boundary setting.
Full Medical/Dental Insurance, generous paid leave and holidays.
How to Apply
THEI is an equal-opportunity employer; all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. Interested applicants should submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “SSRS Manager” in the subject line.
- Date Posted: January 13, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Other
- Start Date: 04/15/2022
- Salary Range: 60000
- Working Hours: M-Th 9:00am-5:00pm