National Museum of African American Music
National Museum of African American Music
The Staff Accountant is responsible for preparing journal entries, detailed reports/analysis, and account reconciliations. The Staff Accountant maintains accounts payable, accounts receivable and prepares financial statements. Provides overall assurance on financial and accounting operations.
NMAAM is the only museum dedicated to preserving the legacy and celebrating the accomplishments of the many music genres created, influenced, or inspired by African Americans. The Museum will share the story of the American Soundtrack, integrating history and interactive technology to bring the musical heroes of the past into the present.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains company general ledger and multiple subsidiary ledger accounts, including posting and preparing adjusting, closing and intercompany journal entries. Monitors cash receipts and handles transactions timely and in a secure manner
- Performs account reconciliations between general ledger and subsidiary ledger, and account reconciliations between general ledger and financial statements.
- Assists with the month-end closing process for company’s financial records. Assists in the preparation of internal and external financial statements including income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flows
- Process payments to vendors, employees and others via check or ACH and ensure payment is received by vendor and proper credit received, as approved
- Review accounts payable invoices, and conﬁrm correct accounting codes were used, which may include verification of federal ID numbers. Generate weekly A/R & A/P reports.
- Assist with recording donor checks received and communicate receipt of payment to Development Dept.
- Maintain files of historical financial records, etc.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and good understanding and application of concepts and principles of accounting
- Perform general accounting duties supporting A/R and A/P functions.
- Analyzes budget activity and related variances on a monthly basis for all entities
- Assists Controller and Director Financial and Administration as needed, working on special projects as management requests
- Ensures all business transactions are reasonable, appropriate, and comply with company policies & procedures
- Three or more years of experience in accounting or finance in a corporate environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field; Master’s a plus; CPA a plus
- Advanced experience using Excel and other products in Microsoft Office suite
- Non-profit experience and previous experience with QuickBooks Online and Financial Edge/Blackbaud software highly desired
Key Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates integrity and reliability in performing duties
- Communicates clearly and consistently in performing duties. Demonstrates ability to explain transactions in clear and concise manner. Answers management and staff questions appropriately and professionally.
- Demonstrates ability to identify daily tasks/priorities and adjusts focus to address priorities while completing scheduled tasks
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrates a team approach by offering to help others with responsibilities and tasks.
- Shares in and displays a commitment to company missions, vision, and goals to deliver a high level of billing and management services to physician partners and their related practices.
- Must be highly organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, with excellent skills in initiating solutions
- Acts in a self-directed manner; takes responsibility for own actions before being directed by others. Seizes opportunities and is proactive in avoiding potential problems.
All Staff Duties:
- Serves as leader to assure strong communications between NMAAM and all external constituents.
- Actively seeks to learn the history of NMAAM.
- Supports and promotes the Museum’s mission.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of special events.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
NMAAM offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits and compensation package that includes medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous paid time off, and a matched 401(k).
How to Apply
We invite you to apply to email@example.com by providing your resume with cover letter and salary expectations.
NMAAM is an equal opportunity employer.
- Date Posted: October 15, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Accounting / Financial Management
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 11/30/2020
- Salary Range: $45,000 - $55,000
- Working Hours: 40 hours/wk; M-F, 8:00 - 5:00