Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN
Sports Buddies Program Specialist
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN
JOB TITLE: Program Specialist, Sports Buddies
REPORTS TO: Manager of Site-Based Facilitated
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: No
FLSA STATUS: Full-Time, Salary, Exempt
LOCATION: Nashville, agency-wide work
BIGGER AND BETTER TOGETHER
For over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee has served young people in the Middle TN region. Our work supports our belief that every child has the ability to succeed and thrive in life. Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Through our commitment to quality, innovation, and the passion we have for our work, we develop and sustain positive, life-changing relationships that have a direct and lasting impact on the lives of our youth and the adults who mentor them.
Our Mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. As noted by our Vision, we are driven by a future in which all youth achieve their full potential.
We want people of all backgrounds to see themselves represented and included in our work, so we actively seek to diversify our team and bring more voices to the table. We know that teams perform at their highest when they feel supported and that they belong. Each of our team members brings unique perspectives and skills, and we are committed to building a culture where voices are heard, differences are celebrated, and everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN, you will be inspired by talented, passionate colleagues who will motivate you to do and be your best. We are bigger and better together!
About the Role
Each employee at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle Tennessee helps to extend the mission of the agency in particular ways as outlined in the position description. The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Day to day: Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks a Program Specialist who will thrive in a growing organization that is dedicated to positively impacting more youth through high-quality, 1-to-1 mentoring. This position will connect children with positive adult mentors who can help empower and inspire youth to reach their full, inherent potential, especially youth of color who are disproportionately impacted by systemic barriers. This staff member will be primarily responsible for enrolling, introducing, and supporting a caseload of matches in our Sports Buddies program. This person will also assist with facilitating weekly match activities for these matches. Position oversight will include quality program delivery as defined by BBBSA national standards, maintaining and enhancing relationships, and a focus on ensuring that families and volunteers matched in the program have a safe, beneficial, and positive experience.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, be organized, be able to provide a positive customer experience, be able to multi-task, and have a passion for improving the lives of young people and our underrepresented youth. This team member will be passionate about and able to engage mentors and community partners from diverse communities, especially within communities of color. This position follows a Tuesday through Saturday schedule, with some evening hours required. People from the communities we serve are especially encouraged to apply.
- Assess volunteers, parents, and children for appropriate program participation by conducting initial and updated interviews of children and volunteers. Obtain collateral material needed for assessment purposes including criminal background checks, references, and school and counseling information.
- Provide timely and comprehensive assessments and recommendations for participation in the program based upon assessments of each individual.
- Make matching decisions that have the potential to result in strong mentor/mentee relationships. Create match proposals and introductions based on assessment information obtained in the intake and assessment processes.
- Maintain an active match support caseload proportionate to enrollment duties, continually assess match relationships focusing on child safety, match relationship development, positive youth development, and volunteer satisfaction. Real and/or potential problems and barriers are identified, addressed, and resolved as early as possible. Provide match support on a frequency according to BBBS Standards, at a minimum.
- Assist with facilitation of Parent and Volunteer Orientations as needed.
- Assess and provide for individual training needs, information and support needs for each match participant to ensure a positive youth development experience for the child and a successful and satisfying experience for the volunteer
- Ensure high-level proficiency in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies, and procedures throughout all aspects of job function. Identify child safety issues for volunteers, children, and their families.
- Attend and assist with the facilitation of weekly Saturday activities for matches hosted by BBBS. Engage with mentors and mentees to establish rapport and encourage relationship-building.
- Regularly collaborate with other service delivery staff to ensure smooth transition among functions.
- Maintain documentation to assure accountability, effectiveness, and efficiency.
- Apply the practices and principles attained in your BBBSMT training/ongoing professional development/coaching to all mentors, mentees, and families.
- Regularly available two evenings per week to support program activities and events, as well as to meet the needs of our families and volunteers.
- Participate in required training/ongoing professional development in the areas of:
- Race and Equity
- LGBTQ Competency and Support Strategies
- Youth Development Best Practice
- Trauma-Informed Practices
Agency Support Responsibilities:
- Utilize educational opportunities, including required First Aid and CPR Certification, and related resources to improve agency service
- Promote and maintain cooperative working relationships with partner organizations
- Participate in agency events to assist with annual fundraising goals
- Assume other responsibilities as they arise
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, physical demands, and required skills. BBBS of Middle Tennessee may at its discretion add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
This Job May Be For You…
- Access to a reliable automobile, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills reflecting solid customer service both in-person and via the telephone
- Well-developed writing skills with an understanding of the need for thorough, accurate, complete record-keeping, reporting, and coordination.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to focus on details.
- Interest and experience in sports.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and set priorities. Ability to deal effectively with changing job requirements and shifting priorities.
- Understanding of child development and family dynamics
- Understanding of issues/barriers that impact children and families from underserved populations.
- Ability to collect meaningful data and draw solid conclusions
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Ability to work independently exercising good judgment, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced environment required
- Understanding of confidentiality and ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive information required
- Bilingual applicants encouraged to apply
- Youth-serving experience, especially working with youth of color and/or from marginalized communities, or a Bachelor’s degree/college coursework in Social Work or a related field
Physical demands: While performing duties of the job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Proposed Schedule to accommodate the families, youth, and volunteers we serve: Tuesday-Saturday work schedule with two evenings per week.
Because we hire the best people and value our staff, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Middle TN works hard to provide competitive benefits to our team. Our comprehensive benefits package, which helps to support a healthy work/life balance, includes:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision) – a generous portion is paid by BBBSMT
- Domestic Partner Benefits
- Company Paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Immediate enrollment in our 403B — We match 50% of what you contribute up to 6% of pay and staff are vested after 12 months of employment
- Training & development programs
- Opportunities for advancement- we promote from within!
- 20 days of paid time off
- 15 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Year
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Flexible work schedule with a hybrid work environment
- Professional resume, LinkedIn profile, and headshot
Americans with Disabilities Act
Employees must be able to perform all essential job functions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
The above statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities, and competencies necessary to perform the job’s essential duties and responsibilities. They should not be regarded as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. BBBSMT may change specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the organization’s needs.
How to Apply
To see more of the impact we are making: http://www.mentorakid.org
If this sounds like the position and organization for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Your Name – Sports Buddies” in the subject line
No phone calls, please. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
BBBSMT values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages all genders, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. BBBSMT is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
- Date Posted: October 3, 2023
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Children / Youth