Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN
SNAP Outreach Intern – West (PAID!)
Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN
We are hiring for a temporary part-time SNAP Outreach Intern paid job to join the Nutrition and Program Assurance team of the Agency and Programs department at Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN.
What you’ll do:
Summary: Responsible for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) outreach, including client eligibility pre-screening, client application assistance, and information dissemination to clients and staff of partner agencies. Focuses on building relationships with new partners, specifically targeting organizations that assist individuals with earned income. Available in a temporary capacity from grant-funding available through the end of June 2022.
- Provides SNAP Outreach and application assistance to individuals.
- Builds partnerships with new community organizations throughout our service area.
- Attends community events and visits partner agencies to provide SNAP outreach assistance.
When & Where: involves 85% travel, so primarily happens from remote environments. On-site work occurs at our western distribution center in Camden, TN. Weekly schedule to include approximately 15-20 hours/week. The flexible work schedule requires daytime, evening and weekend availability. Some Friday and Saturday hours (7 A – 2 P) required for Mobile Pantry and perishable food distributions.
Is this you?
- Education: High School diploma (or equivalent) required, bachelor or master’s degree preferred. Non-profit management, public administration, sociology, social work or similar study preferred. Internship with academic credit available for students pursuing degrees in nonprofit management, social work or a related field of study.
- Experience: Knowledge of government benefit programs available to low-income communities and public speaking/presentations, and experience working with diverse clients and ensuring client confidentiality preferred.
- Skills: Ability to interact with persons of various social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds. Demonstrated skill in using Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel to manage scheduling and communications, produce letters, educational materials, and spreadsheets. Ensures confidentiality of client information.
- Other requirements: Age 21 or older required for driving and travel responsibilities. Our pre-hire process requires acceptable results from the following: professional reference feedback, criminal background, Motor Vehicle Record and a pre-employment drug test. Current Driver’s License and automobile insurance are also required. Criminal backgrounds are evaluated on a case by case basis considering several factors (timing, frequency, severity and job relation).
What Second Harvest has to offer:
- Work with a purpose: As one of Middle Tennessee’s largest nonprofits, our local hunger relief work is uniquely rewarding, hands on and solutions oriented. Our mission is to feed hungry people and work to solve hunger issues in our community. A career with Second Harvest ensures that you not only earn a paycheck, but also help your local community through meaningful work.
- Award winning workplace: we are a best in class workplace because we are passionate and people focused, so that our community can count on us for our critical work. We are among The Tennessean’s Top Workplaces based solely on employee feedback. We are invested in our team and offer frequent whole-person wellness opportunities through our Harvest Wellbeing Program.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity: Second Harvest embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we serve. We provide equal employment to all applicants and employees regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or other legally protected characteristics.
How to Apply
There are three main ways to apply for employment with Second Harvest Food Bank:
- Apply online through this link: http://www.secondharvestmidtn.org/job-opportunities/?gnk=job&gni=8a7885ac78f5247201790e9d141f5dce&gns=CNM. You’ll be able to upload your resume and cover letter from the website as well.
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit in-person to complete the physical application and leave any other materials that you’d like: 69 Benton Industrial Road, Camden TN 38320.
Thanks for your interest in working for Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle TN. We love it here and think you will too.
- Date Posted: April 27, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Health (Physical, Mental)
- Working Hours: Flexible, 15-20 hrs/wk