Senior Manager, Marketing and Membership
American Association for State and Local History
The Senior Manager, Marketing and Membership provides overall strategic and operational leadership for marketing and communications efforts targeted to various audiences, including members, nonmembers, the field, and the public. They will ensure accurate, consistent message in organization’s marketing and membership building initiatives. This person will also serve as part of the senior leadership team.
- Oversees the development and distribution of all print and electronic collateral.
- Develops new marketing opportunities and improves existing strategies
- Has overall management responsibility for marketing activities that support membership, products, and programs
- Manages tracking systems to measure and evaluate effectiveness of marketing efforts
- Continually evaluate and improve the member experience, including all print and electronic communication with members and delivery of member benefits
- Strategize and implement opportunities to grow membership and improve retention rates
- Promote membership in the Association
- Represent AASLH at one to two outside conferences a year to promote membership and other services (ex: NCPH, AAM)
Communication and Media
- Compose and schedule regular e-blasts to members and contacts, consulting with other staff when necessary to make sure information about all programs is services are regularly being communicated to members via email
- Manage and grow all AASLH social media accounts, ensuring that the mix of posts and news represents the diversity and breadth of AASLH members and services
- Manage the AASLH website, working with outside developer when necessary, so that it remains a valuable resource for members and membership recruitment
- Design or commission promotional material for programs and membership as needed
- Market the Annual Meeting and work with other staff to increase visibility of the conference and grow registration rates
- Assist with the print programs as needed, and work with the designer on any other promotional material needed (ex: save the date postcard)
- Commission the conference app to ensure consistency with AASLH brand
- Coordinate the photographer and any photo opportunities throughout the conference
- Works with host committee, AASLH blog editor, and Chief of Operations to gather photographs, marketing materials, and other items to enhance meeting marketing
- Assist at the Annual Meeting in any other ways needed
- Work with Membership and Development Manager to design annual fund campaign to ensure consistency with AASLH brand
- Assist with strategies for growing annual fund campaign and new fundraising initiatives
Marketing-Related Revenue Sources
- Set quarterly and annual sales and revenue goals for advertising and sponsorships
- Supervise the Marketing and Development Manager and the Membership and Database Coordinator
- Other projects as assigned
Minimum five years cumulative work experience for a nonprofit membership association or a public history institution, such as a museum, historical society, humanities council, or a related agency, business, or institution. As a part of membership-building, the senior manager must be familiar with the wide variety of AASLH members who preserve and interpret state and local history, thus it is necessary to have knowledge of historical practices/methods, and professional skills or abilities related to one or more of the following: archives, libraries, historic preservation, historical interpretation, historical education, museum exhibits/curation, fundraising, cultural tourism, historical consulting, archaeology, cultural resource management, or oral history. Significant experience and knowledge supporting membership and/or marketing is preferred.
Senior Manager, Marketing and Membership also must have strong written communications skills, as they will produce content for the organization’s publications and communication pieces. The Manager must also have excellent oral communications skills, an aptitude for tracking, calculating, and analyzing marketing numbers; strong customer service skills; and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time with attention to detail. Knowledge of social networks, mobile devices, and online communication required. Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, web design, and contact management systems preferred.
This position is full-time and requires 37.5 hours per week. The Senior Manager, Marketing and Membership reports directly to the Chief of Operations. Benefits include paid time off, health insurance, and retirement plan.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin March 13 and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is mid to late April Please note that successful candidate will have to pass a background check.
AASLH is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Date Posted: February 25, 2020
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Salary Range: 50,000-54,000