Rental Assistance Specialist
Division: Section 8 Rental Assistance
Reports to: Rental Assistance Manager
Location: Various Locations
Salary Grade: 30
Monthly Salary Range Minimum: $3,365
Critical features of this job are described under the headings below. They may be subject to change due to changes in our business processes or other business-related reasons.
POSITION SUMMARY: Manages a caseload of applicants and tenants, including determinations of initial eligibility and re-certifications (annual, interim, and relocation), in a multi-county area for the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Maintains a waiting list of eligible applicants for each assigned county according to program requirements.
- Conducts interviews with applicants and issues vouchers to eligible applicants.
- Conducts annual re-certifications for a caseload of eligible participants, including tenant interviews.
- Conducts interim re-certifications as needed and processes appropriate paperwork to adjust payments.
- Facilitates tenant relocations, ensuring that tenants are eligible for relocation, submitting Request for Tenancy Approvals to contract inspector(s) and obtaining new leases and Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contracts.
- Collects verifications of local preferences, income, assets, household composition and deductions to determine eligibility and the correct amount of rental and utility assistance, ensuring that all information is received in time to process transactions by stated deadlines to notify tenants and landlords.
- Corresponds with tenants and landlords about changes in subsidy and inspections, giving appropriate notice of any HAP amount change or termination or any matter regarding Housing Quality Standards (HQS) as dictated by the Administrative Plan.
- Provides data entry into the appropriate computer systems; troubleshoots errors and makes corrections where appropriate.
- Collects rental information on unassisted units for purposes of determining rent reasonableness; maintains a rent comparability file.
- Performs tenant fraud recovery, including calculating subsidy overpayments, and executing repayment agreements.
- Maintains client and landlord relations.
- Maintains complete and accurate tenant files, program files and other records.
- Prepares paperwork for scanning into the Electronic Content Management (ECM) data base.
- Complies with all program rules and other state and federal regulations.
- Maintains current and accurate knowledge and information concerning the program, attending training as necessary.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent GED.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, public administration or other related field is preferred.
- Two or more years of experience in a federal, state or local housing program, other social service or subsidized housing program, or other organization serving a low-income population is preferred.
The above qualifications express the minimum standards of education and/or experience for this position. Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may be taken into consideration.
BENEFITS: THDA offers an excellent benefits package: medical, dental, vision, and life insurance options; disability insurance ; retirement plans; flexible benefits pre-tax accounts for medical, dependent care, transportation; and parking; annual leave and sick leave that begin accruing after the first month of employment; and 11 paid holidays per year. We also offer work life balance opportunities through alternative work schedules, flexible schedules, and telecommuting
How to Apply
PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT WWW.THDA.ORG AND FOLLOW THE ONLINE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
- Date Posted: November 15, 2021
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Government
- Salary Range: 3,365.00
- Working Hours: 37.5