The prep cook is responsible for preparing ingredients for recipes; preparing and assisting other staff in preparing side dishes, salads, desserts, bread, and beverages; as well as performs other routine food preparation duties for Luke 14:12 non-profit soup kitchen in Nashville. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: assisting with meal prep and meal service on 1) Mondays, 2) Tuesdays and 3) Fridays or Wednesdays; working on-site two to four days a week; working closely with the Executive Director, Assistant Director and other kitchen and dining staff.
Applicants should understand and be willing to comply with food and sanitation guidelines and regulations as set by the Health Department, be able to follow instructions, follow standardized recipes, be diligent, and be willing to improve on the job. Individual must be comfortable with preparing meals and serving Nashville’s unhoused community.
- Working effectively with a small kitchen team while complying with agency procedures and food safety policies.
- Preparing ingredients following Luke 14:12 recipes.
- Helping to prepare entrees using standardized recipes.
- Preparing vegetable side dishes and other basic cooking responsibilities.
- Preparing meal accompaniments such as, salads, bread, desserts, and beverages with clear instructions and standardized recipes
- Following instructions created by supervisors.
- Ensuring all food items are properly stored and appropriately labeled.
- Assisting Luke 14:12 staff in the kitchen during on-site meal service. These tasks will include:
- Assisting staff in taking entrees in and out of the ovens
- Cleaning plates and cooking utensils and pans for dishwashing
- Assisting the dishwasher, if needed
- Maintaining a clean, orderly, and sanitized kitchen.
- Assist with kitchen and dining room clean-up at the end of meal preparation and meal service, including removing trash and clearing storage bins.
- High school diploma, GED, or a suitable alternative
- Experience as a prep cook preferred
- Excellent understanding of food preparation fundamentals
- Ability to follow recipes and guidelines
- Manual dexterity to operate cooking tools such as knives
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Physical endurance to work 4-5 hour shifts 3 times each week in a commercial kitchen environment
- Other kitchen duties as determined by the Executive Director or Assistant Director
Not applicable for this position.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this position, please send a resume and cover letter to Amy Dodson-Watts, Amy@Luke1412.org.
- Date Posted: July 13, 2022
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Other
- Service Area: Social / Human Services
- Start Date: 07/29/2022
- Salary Range: $15 - $17 per hour, depending on experience
- Working Hours: Mondays 8:30am-1pm, Tuesdays 8:30am-2pm, and Wednesdays or Fridays 8:30am-2pm