Peer Leader – Opportunity Now
Opportunity NOW, under the direction of Nashville Career Advancement Center and the Mayor’s Office, is a coordinated initiative launched to provide young people in Davidson County access to employment. In Nashville, we have seen fewer and fewer teenagers and young adults working during the summers and after-school. At the same time, Nashville employers across various industries are concerned about the lack of social and emotional skills among their youngest employees—skills most readily learned through actual work experience.
STARS is currently working with over 30 local Nashville agencies to employ 70 college students (ON – Peer Leaders) to coach young people, ages 14 – 15 years old over the Summer of 2020 (May 27 – July 16).
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Facilitate Positive Youth Development
- Lead teambuilding week for youth participants
- Coordinate payroll time collection for worksite
- Assist in coordination of daily project activities: goal-setting, timeframe, required tools, clean-up, etc.
- Deliver curriculum content related to soft-skills, financial literacy, and college knowledge
- Facilitate daily reflection time, integrating team-building and conflict-resolution skills into project activities
- Facilitate communication between Participants, Subject Matter Expert, Program Supervisor, On Site Leader, Transportation Leader, and Opportunity Now
Education and Experience:
- Competencies required for this position are normally acquired through two to four years of undergraduate studies, coupled with training provided by STARS.
- Currently enrolled at a college or university in Davidson County and maintain Davidson County residency
- Must successfully pass Tennessee Bureau of Investigation background check prior to start
- Must successfully pass drug screening
- Time management and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and independent worker with the ability to successfully multitask
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Adaptable and flexible
- Willingness to lead and speak in front of groups
- Willingness to work with young people, age 14 – 15
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Work hours – Monday – Friday – 20-25 hours per week, depending on the site
- Training: Required Program Coach training sessions: May 27 – May 29, 2020 from 8:30 am-3:00 pm
- Work/Program dates: June 2 to July 16, 2020
- Pay – $12.00/hour
How to Apply
Apply on-line at:
No phone calls please
- Date Posted: March 2, 2020
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 05/27/2020
- Salary Range: 12.00/hr
- Working Hours: M-F; 8:30am-3:00pm