Tennessee Language Center
Part-Time Japanese Instructor
Tennessee Language Center
TLC teaching assignments will vary from online learning (Matrix learning management system + synchronous Zoom sessions) to in-person (likely beginning in the Fall Term, at Tennessee Language Center in Nashville, TN and/or local businesses) for language learners at beginning, intermediate, and advanced proficiency levels. World Language instructors work with the Tennessee Language Center (TLC) on a part-time basis. They may teach group classes during our regularly scheduled terms and/or provide custom language instruction. TLC primarily teaches adult language learners in group classes, but we are currently expanding our course offerings to include dedicated classes for middle and high school learners.
World language classes are where it all started for TLC so our part-time instructors are truly the heartbeat of our organization. We are dedicated to ensuring their success through on-going professional development, regular feedback, flexible scheduling, fair pay, and administrative support.
The Tennessee Language Center (TLC) is currently seeking an experienced language instructor in Japanese to:
- Teach an online synchronous novice-level group class during the upcoming Summer term (starting the week of July 12th). Summer Term course is online.
- Offer custom language instruction to individuals and businesses
Part-time instructors typically work between 6 and 20 hours per week, 36 weeks per year, depending on staffing needs and term enrollments. Depending on staffing needs and term enrollments, the possibility exists to teach additional group classes. Future group classes at TLC may be expanded to include classes for middle school (5th – 8th grades) and high school (9th – 12th grades) language learners, and candidates with experience working with these age groups are encouraged to apply.
TLC offers both online and in-person classes. Online teachers may reside anywhere in the U.S. and in-person teachers must live in the Nashville area.
- Bachelor’s degree* in any field
- Native or near-native speaker of the language(s) for which applying to teach
- English proficiency - minimum level of Advanced High (ACTFL) or C1 (CEFR)
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience teaching the language(s) and the age group (adult, middle/high school age) for which applying to teach or willingness to complete teacher training with TLC training prior to employment
- Demonstrated ability to teach with strategies for delivering comprehensible input and provide learner-centered and differentiated instruction focused on the negotiation of meaning and communication and making connections with the target culture(s).
- Transcultural competence gained by being raised or educated in a country where the target language is spoken, by living in a heritage community in another country or by demonstrating through professional experience or academic preparation a deep understanding of the products, practices and perspectives of the communities where the target language is spoken
- Must be able to work respectfully with individuals of all cultures, backgrounds, perspectives and abilities
- Must have some experience using classroom technologies
- Advanced degree (MA or PhD)* in the language(s) seeking to teach with TLC, Applied Linguistics, Language Pedagogy, Second Language Acquisition or related field
- Experience using a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Online language teaching experience
- Experience with curriculum development for language materials
- Experience with proficiency testing (candidates with OPI Tester certification are especially encouraged to apply)
*U.S. equivalencies of the credential(s) must be verified, and applicants must provide a credential evaluation, e.g., from World Education Services (WES), when applying.
How to Apply
Please email the following to email@example.com:
- Detailed Resume/CV – listing education and describing work experience
- Letter of Interest - addressing qualifications and experience related to the stated required and preferred qualifications for the position
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
- Date Posted: May 28, 2021
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Education