Part-time Administrative Assistant
Book’em is seeking a part-time Administrative Assistant to join our committed team – someone who is passionate about books, literacy, and children/teens and wants to help us provide more books and reading role models for Nashville’s youth. At Book’em, we work hard, have fun, and believe in work/life balance. We encourage and celebrate diversity and are an equal opportunity employer.
The mission of Book’em is to create a more literate Nashville and ignite children’s passion for reading through book ownership and enthusiastic volunteers. We envision a future in Nashville where all children own books and know first-hand the joy and value of reading. For more information about Book’em, please visit www.bookem-kids.org.
This position is in-person for 20-25 hours/week. This employee will help determine their schedule within regular business hours, 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday. Some evenings and weekends will be required with advance notice.
If you are looking for a place to use your skills to make a difference for Nashville’s youth, please consider Book’em.
To assist our executive director with day-to-day administrative tasks and help with other needs and priorities to fulfill our mission. The Administrative Assistant reports to our Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage, assist, and/or respond to voicemails and emails for Executive Director as requested
- Assist with board and committee relations
- Assist with meetings
- Organize timesheets and payroll monthly
- Prepare invoices and checks for review
- Organize and maintain backup of virtual office files and documents
- Assist with the hiring process
- Ensure consistency between various databases
- Track grant applications and report deadlines
- Compile and gather data and information for reports
- Answer phones
- Welcome and direct visitors
- Monitor and manage general incoming email addresses for the organization
- Keep office organized
- Monitor office equipment and arrange needed maintenance and repairs
- Order and maintain office supplies
- Open and distribute mail and packages
- Assist with e-newsletters and communications
- Coordinate logistics for special deliveries
- Assist with programs, volunteers, and fundraising as needed
- Assist with other needs when they arise
- Maintain working relationships that ensure the success of Book’em. This includes maintaining positive interpersonal relationships with partners, donors, volunteers, and staff.
- Assist with operations, volunteers, technology, marketing, social media, office functions, books, fundraising, and other duties as needed; and assist other staff members and board of directors as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent English language skills: oral, written, reading, and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficient or advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn new technology platforms
- Ability to work independently and proactively without daily instruction, as well as the ability to work well with a team.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse population of volunteers, educators, business leaders, and individuals.
- Flexibility to adjust to new tasks and priorities.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance are required. Use of personal vehicles will be required at times.
Education and Experience Required
- High school diploma or equivalent, college degree, and/or more.
- One year of administrative work experience is required.
- Volunteer experience (any type) is desired.
Environmental Conditions and Physical Demands
- Moderate physical activity.
- Manual dexterity to reach/handle items, work with fingers, and perceive attributes of objects and materials.
- The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, climb and balance.
- The final candidate must pass a thorough background check.
- Part-time position: 20-25 hours per week, during normal weekday business hours (8 am-5 pm Monday through Friday) with some early mornings, evenings, and weekends required with advance notice.
- In-person position.
Pay Rate and Benefits
- The hourly rate is $15.00 with no flexibility with that rate.
- The position is considered an hourly employee working part-time.
- No health/medical benefits are available through Book’em.
- Paid time off for holidays, vacation, and personal time included.
- Opportunity to work with a talented and dedicated team and to make a difference.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email the following to Melissa Spradlin at email@example.com.
- a cover letter describing how you are qualified for this position and why you are interested in it
- your resume
- Date Posted: October 23, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Administrative
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Start Date: 11/09/2023
- Salary Range: $15.00/hour
- Working Hours: 20-25 hrs/wk; M-F days, some weekends and evenings required