Legal Aid Society
Legal Aid Society has an immediate opening for a part-time (20 hours per week) paralegal in Nashville. Job duties will include interviewing potential clients, performing legal needs assessments, and collecting sensitive case information. Paralegal will also provide written and in-person outreach advocacy on behalf of the client population in various forums, and identify and pursue benefits, resources, and remedies to civil legal problems. The paralegal will be responsible for case support services, pleadings preparation, and case documentation for all Cycles of Success cases under the direction of an attorney.
This position will be co-located in the office of a partner agency and Nashville LAS office. This position is funded in part by, and in collaboration with, the Cycles of Success grant from the Tennessee Department of Human Services and attorney must adhere to goals and outcomes detailed in the grant contract. This position is funded for the duration of the grant.
- Perform full intake interviews to gather all case-related information and complete internal documents.
- Screen applicants for conflicts of interest, legal problems, and eligibility.
- Travel to and from service area and office location, as needed, for office hours, client meetings, hearings, case review, etc.
- Draft correspondences and pleadings.
- Assist with computer-assisted legal and factual research on relevant laws, regulations, and legal articles using on-line services such as Westlaw and Accurint.
- Assist lawyers with research, interviewing clients, filing court documents, and other case handling and case management tasks.
- Attend and assist attorneys at trial by maintaining list of exhibits as identified, offered into evidence, admitted, or objected to (including judicial disposition), and noting developments of case, reactions of judge/jurors, witnesses, and opposing counsel during trial.
- Establish relationships with community organizations to create a referral system and conduct in-person, video, or telephone intakes with clients of the organizations.
- High school diploma or GED is required. Bachelor’s degree or higher is preferred.
- Prior experience working in the legal field is preferred.
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills.
- Ability to follow directions and work with a team as well as independently.
- Effective communication in oral and written form. Written and spoken fluency in Spanish or Arabic is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and client interviewing skills.
- Comfortable giving presentations to groups.
- Strong typing and computer skills. Experience with Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc), Legal Files database, Westlaw, and Accurint preferred.
- Access to transportation.
Salary: Dependent on experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
Apply as soon as possible. Legal Aid Society of Middle Tennessee and the Cumberlands provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
How to Apply
Legal Aid Society has thirty-seven attorneys in eight offices in Middle and East Tennessee. Its attorneys provide low-income people expert legal assistance at all levels of state and federal court. Its staff includes national authorities in the fields of domestic violence, housing, consumer law, federal income taxation, health advocacy, nonprofit group representation, social security and special education. For more information about LAS, visit www.las.org.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume and three references (with phone numbers). No phone calls, please. Send by mail or e-mail (in Word or PDF format) to:
Re: Nashville Cycles of Success Paralegal Position
Legal Aid Society
1321 Murfreesboro Rd, Suite 400
Nashville, TN 37217
- Date Posted: January 29, 2020
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Legal
- Service Area: Children / Youth