Nashville Public Library Foundation
Outreach Specialist – Bringing Books to Life!
Nashville Public Library Foundation
This is a non-Civil Service part-time (19.5 hours/week) position with Nashville Public Library, funded by the Nashville Public Library Foundation. Reporting to the Program Coordinator, the Outreach Assistant will participate in the preparation for and delivery of all program activities, especially story times and teacher workshops. This position will also be responsible for tracking program statistics, evaluation and preparing monthly reports. Candidate will be expected to travel throughout Davidson County. Other duties as assigned.
Position offers a flexible schedule with regular evening and weekend hours required.
Bringing Books to Life! (BBTL) is an award-winning literacy outreach initiative created by Nashville Public Library in collaboration with various agencies and institutions to serve the families and children of Nashville. The program utilizes the Library’s unique troupe of performing artists and historic collection of marionettes to foster reading readiness through literature-based theatre presentations, classroom lessons, and family literacy workshops. BBTL, sponsored by the Nashville Public Library Foundation, seeks to make the library a meaningful part of the lives of children and their families and emphasizes the importance of reading to children.
Located in the heart of Music City, The Nashville Public Library boasts 4 million visits annually and maintains a collection of 2 million items, including a one-of-its kind civil rights collection. The Metro Archives, a premier division of the Public Library, is the official record keeper of Nashville’s history, maintaining records of enduring historical value. Nashville Public Library is central to the city’s art, history, education and literary culture, earning it the title of Gale-Cengage and the Library Journal’s 2017 Library of the Year. The library periodically hosts best-selling authors, and during the summer months offers free lunchtime concerts in a beautifully manicured courtyard featuring everything from salsa to soul, to blues to Bach. If this environment is appealing to you, then you might want to consider a job at the public library.
- Prepare materials for program activities.
- Confirm scheduled programming with host organizations.
- Conduct outreach story times for children, in-person or virtually as scheduled.
- Assist with and/or lead teacher workshops and other outreach programs, such as parent workshops, in-person or virtually as needed.
- Track program statistics and assisting in grant reporting.
- Analyze and report data using Microsoft Excel.
- Prepare departmental newsletters.
Two (2) years of college (60 semester hours) from an accredited college or university and two (2) years of library experience, similar public service experience or customer service experience;
High School diploma and four (4) years of library experience, similar public service experience or customer service experience;
Bachelor’s degree and some experience
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Note: Per Metro Ordinance No. SO94-1078. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of children’s literature and early literacy skills
- Experience working with young children and/or families in a group setting
- Fluent bilingual language skills, Spanish or Arabic preferred
- Working knowledge of Zoom, WebEx, Teams or other video conferencing platforms
- Bachelor’s degree in early childhood /education or related field
- Skill in using computer software (Microsoft Office) and online resources
This is a part-time position without benefits.
How to Apply
- Date Posted: January 4, 2023
- Type: Part-Time
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Children / Youth
- Salary Range: $20.98/hour
- Working Hours: 19.5 hours/week. Some evenings and weekends required.