Outreach and Communications Programs Coordinator
This position is part of Harpeth River Conservancy’s (HC) strategic growth plan to expand the number of vibrant, talented, and experienced leaders in Tennessee working together to ensure clean water and healthy rivers in Tennessee. The Outreach and Communications Coordinator is a full-time position that reports to the Development Director. This position requires social media management, marketing, internal and external staff and program management, and creative thinking with an overall objective of empowering and providing the tools for decision makers, communities, and citizens to effectively champion clean water and healthy rivers in Tennessee.
HC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in our hiring process. We are actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates for this position.
- Outreach Coordination (60%):
- Execute the Outreach and Education programs of the Harpeth Conservancy. This includes managing, coordinating, creating innovative content for online programming, monthly in person hands on /educational events (Lessons on the Rivers), expanding the state specialty license plate program, and community tabling events among others.
- Manage outreach and education events as well as shape and lead new outreach and education programming.
- Ensure materials and appropriate staffing, either with employees or volunteers, are available prior to, on the day of, and for any post event follow up.
- Develop relationships with partner groups, organizations, event managers, corporations, and other potential HC stakeholders.
- Assist with the logistics and coordination of donor, fundraising, and community events ranging from 30-700 attendees.
- Raise support via finding, writing, and procuring grant funding to fund the Outreach and Education mission of HC.
- Manage education and outreach staff and volunteers.
- Recruit volunteers to assist with events, programs, and policy initiatives.
- Plan and execute volunteer trainings and appreciation events.
- Initiate and develop partnerships and relationships with local and state institutions that share the same values as HC and integrate them into our education and outreach events.
- Communications Coordination (40%):
- Creating, directing, and maintaining integrated marketing to increase brand awareness.
- Directing and/or personally managing the creation of fundraising and organizational communications from start to finish (bi-weekly electronic newsletter- eblasts, mailings, online campaigns, articles, commentary, press releases, annual newsletter, website content, digital calls to action, videos, social media content, event collateral, special publications, and more).
- Creating, managing, and executing strategies for mobilizing supporters over digital channels, including web, social media, mobile, and email.
- Developing and measuring communication strategies to advance the organization’s strategic objectives and mission, attract new supporters, and retain current supporters.
- Identifying trends, relevant news, and other opportunities in social media to raise awareness, engage new and current supporters, and empower them to take action.
- Preparing press releases and developing relationships with the press to facilitate coverage of campaigns and events.
- Being a spokesperson who builds relationships with stakeholders to further HC partnerships and policy work.
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum of three or more years of relevant professional work experience
- Resident or willingness to relocate to Middle Tennessee
- Excellent computer and technological skills, including experience with Microsoft Office suite, social media platforms and software, website editing, online communication platforms, and troubleshooting skills
- Understanding of digital and content strategy with experience in building successful audience programs across various mediums
- Willingness and comfort in learning new digital tools and systems as well as evaluating new ones and training people to use them
- Exceptional creative, detail oriented, and organizational skills
- Comfortable interacting professionally with all levels of donors and supporters. Includes excellent interpersonal communication skills by phone, in person, and email
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Team player with strong time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Experience with volunteer management and team management skills
- Be committed to the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and be dedicated to creating environmental equity and ensuring environmental justice
- Ability to scope, assess, and vet programming with an eagerness to share ideas and help evolve content
- Solid project management skills internally and externally
- Reliable, responsible, and with the flexibility and willingness to work outside of the constraints of a standard work week, as required, including weekends and before and after scheduled hours
- Knowledge of and interest in environmental issues
- Valid Driver’s License in the State of Tennessee and adequate transportation and proof of insurance
- Commitment to the mission of Harpeth Conservancy
- Ability to transport 25+ pounds and be in a stationary position for long periods of time as required for events
Additional Qualifications preferred but to required:
- Familiarity with Donor Perfect
- Graphic Design proficiency
- Public Relations experience
- Understanding of scientific concepts to aid in explanation of our work to a broad variety of audiences, both in written materials and person-to-person
The salary base is $42,000 with a range above based on experience. Harpeth Conservancy benefits include paid-time-off, Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN cafeteria health insurance plan with a pre-tax Health Savings Account, and a Simple-IRA retirement plan.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter, resume, and three references by email to Grace Stranch, the COO and Vice President of Conservation Policy at Harpeth River Conservancy, Gracestranch@harpethriver.org.
- Date Posted: July 25, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Communications / Marketing / PR
- Service Area: Environment
- Start Date: 07/29/2022
- Salary Range: $42,000+
- Working Hours: 40