Older Adult Programming & Nutrition Leader – AmeriCorps
Are you passionate about helping older adults live their best lives? Join us at FiftyForward as we support, enhance, and champion life for those 50 and over by providing access to health resources and nutrition.
Full Time, August 15, 2022 – July 28, 2023
You will love this role if you value positive, supportive, nonjudgmental relationships between individuals of all ages. At FiftyForward we celebrate diversity in all its wonderful forms and are looking for an AmeriCorps Member who can both teach older adults and learn from them. If you believe you are never too old or too young to learn something new, join us as we help older adults love life after 50.
As FiftyForward’s Older Adult Programming and Nutrition Leader you will work with a dedicated team to ensure that the participants in our Adult Day Services (ADS) program for older adults with memory loss and health challenges enjoy enriching activities that support their mental and physical health. ADS participants are eager to enjoy music, art, and social activities. Bring your specific skills to our team to help develop high quality programming and activities. Love music? Develop a program based on music therapy. Into Art? So are our participants – lead them in the creative process. Is exercise your thing? Develop and lead a chair exercise program. You will also support our FiftyForward Fresh meal delivery and nutritional support program.
This AmeriCorps member will gain valuable experience working with older adults. This position is well suited for individuals interested in pursuing a position in the medical field or social work. The member will gain experience in working with volunteers, nutrition, data collection, and program evaluation. The AmeriCorps member will also gain experience in project planning and implementation and have the opportunity to take projects from creation to development, implementation and then evaluation. The member will be a leader during their service term and will coordinate teams to reach shared goals.
Nashville is powered by people of all ages, races, ethnicities, skin tones, sexes, genders, sexualities, religions, abilities, and socioeconomic statuses engaging in service together. This is a city where YOU matter and YOU make a difference. Join us as we tackle the community’s most pressing challenges through service by becoming a Hands On Nashville AmeriCorps Program member.
The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through generous support from Volunteer Tennessee, The Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, and AmeriCorps, the federal agency connecting individuals and organizations through service and volunteering to tackle the nation’s most pressing challenges.
- Develop and implement programming for older adults with memory loss.
- Develop pre-service training program for volunteers serving Adult Day Services.
- Assist with nutrition services for FiftyForward Fresh meal delivery program.
- Assist with partnerships for FiftyForward Nutrition program serving food insecure older adults.
- Collect and analyze data in order to enhance program services.
- Coordinate group volunteer projects to support the preparation of healthy menu items.
Typical Day In This Position
The AmeriCorps member would lead a morning art, music or exercise activity that they developed for the ADS program participants. In the early afternoon they would lead a volunteer group of 10 in a project to make healthy muffins that will be frozen for serving as an afternoon snack for ADS. Late afternoon might be spent with one-on-one interaction with an ADS program participant assisting with puzzles or games.
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Members should have experience with or the willingness to develop competencies in these areas:
- Working enthusiastically with older adults
- Working collaboratively as a member of a team
- Appreciating diversity in all its forms
- Flexibility and willingness to jump in when needed
Key abilities include:
- Ability to demonstrate patience and understanding with older adults who are experiencing cognitive decline
- Skills in art, music, or fitness
Prerequisites: Associates Degree
Can professional experience be substituted for formal education: No
Lift and carry up to 15lbs; Responsibilities in this position may entail standing for extended periods of time; Office or service environment may include noisy environments; Service responsibilities require moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another; Service responsibilities require member to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; Service responsibilities require the member to communicate verbally via the telephone and/or computer.;
Required Driver’s License: Yes
- $6,495 education award, upon completion of service contract
- Federal student loan forbearance and accrued interest payment
- Bronze-level health coverage through Healthcare.gov
- Training and professional development in nonprofit management
- $20,000 living allowance, paid in bi-weekly increments
How to Apply
Please apply using the link: https://forms.office.com/r/4BZ11DvFuv
- Date Posted: April 25, 2022
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Programs and Service Delivery
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/15/2022
- Salary Range: 20000
- Working Hours: 37.5