Gordon Jewish Community Center
Membership and Development Director
Gordon Jewish Community Center
The Director of Membership and Development provides strategic direction and strong managerial leadership to effectively boost membership, program participation and financial support for the Gordon Jewish Community Center, while enhancing the Center’s overall community image and profile. S/he takes the lead in attracting and welcoming new member prospects and donors to the Center and guides a systematic process of recruitment and retention for members and donors. The position requires strong analytical, supervisory and communication skills and the ability to effectively build relationships with a broad base. The Membership and Development Director is a team player well versed in customer service and great listening skills with members as well as staff. This exempt position reports to the Executive Director and is a part of the executive team.
Membership: Oversee the planning, development and implementation of recruitment and retention membership strategies that best meet the mission and needs of the GJCC with the goals of increasing membership units, streamlining the process in handling the operations of the department, improved tracking, reporting and handling of all follow through on a timely basis.
- Design and conduct tours of the facility, and train and coordinate staff to do the same effectively.
- Ensure members receive courteous, thoughtful and timely responses to the inquiries and issues, and work with Executive Management and Department Heads to solve problems, as is appropriate.
- Develop clear, consistent, and effective strategies for reaching and selling to all market segments as well as retaining members, including regular contact with members at risk and exit interviewing of those who resign.
- Develop and maintain value-added member benefits for the JCC membership.
- Attend and/or ensure the Jewish Community Center’s presence at community events to promote programs.
- Serve as the contact person for requests for GJCC information by local agencies, organizations and other JCC’s.
- Oversee Silver Sneakers month-end participation reports, new sign-ups and processing forms for payments to the GJCC.
- Coordinate Open Houses, Membership Appreciation events and other promotions.
- Communicate constructively and consistently about the value of JCC membership.
- Solicit and analyze feedback from members and prospects as expressed in surveys, anecdotes and usage; proactively raise issues and lead change processes as necessary.
- Oversee the membership record keeping and utilize the data to promote sales and retention.Data collected should include, but not be limited to, sales closing, retention, new member orientation program completion, and membership promotion analyses.
- Provide detailed monthly membership statistics and demographics.
- Work with Accounts Receivable staff to track changes and/or problem accounts.
- Interview, hire, train and manage front desk Membership Associates to ensure front desk coverage and superior customer service.
- Using accurate forecasting methods to develop and maintain Membership and Fundraising budgets.
Development: Lead the organizational fundraising, both event and planned giving, to ensure the growth and future security of the GJCC as a vital community resource as well as increase the visibility and understanding of the work and mission of the GJCC.
- Develop and implement long-range and short-term plans for fundraising activities
- Work with Executive Director and senior staff to identify funding priorities and integrate development activities into the GJCC’s operations
- Work closely with event chairs and committees to produce well-executed and well-received fundraising events
- Explore and initiate annual giving requests and giving group.
- Work with Executive Director, Board members, staff and volunteers to identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors.
- Develop private gifts, grants and sponsorships in support of the GJCC
- Plan and supervise donor appreciation events
- Prepare and present development updates to Board and provide fundraising training to the Board
- Oversee the writing and production of grants, proposals, and other promotional materials intended to support the GJCC financial development effort.
- Oversee the representation of a positive organizational image to the general public, members, volunteers and other agencies
- Stay abreast of current trends and developments in FRD and provide strategic solutions that act upon the results of the research data
- Interview, hire, train and manage front desk Membership Associates to ensure front desk coverage and superior customer service
Agency Wide and Lay Leadership:
- Staff the Membership and Fundraising Committee(s) and assist with their goals of increasing membership units, promotions of the GJCC and meeting the mission of the GJCC.
- Assist, as needed and appropriate, to plan and implement interdepartmental or agency-wide programs
- Responsibilities may change according to the needs of the agency
- A bachelor’s degree in applicable field
- A proven, progressive track record of 5 years in membership with sales responsibilities and/or non-profit development experience; knowledge of the worlds of fitness, recreation, community centers or related fields are a plus
- Excellent verbal, written and technical skills and a solid understanding of websites and the social media universe.
- Outstanding personal rapport and ability to work with the public
- Excellent problem-solving skills, creativity and leadership abilities
- Ease in working with data bases and requisite computer software skills
- Knowledge of Jewish customs and traditions is preferred, but not required
Health, dental and vision insurance
Membership and up tp 50% discount on progrms, including child care and camp
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to Leslie@nashvillejcc.org
- Date Posted: April 28, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Executive Leadership
- Service Area: Arts / Culture
- Start Date: 05/16/2022
- Salary Range: $55,000-$65,000
- Working Hours: Weekdays, some weekends