The Upper Room - Discipleship Ministries
Major Gifts Officer – Remote
The Upper Room - Discipleship Ministries
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for leading a major donor gift initiative for The Upper Room to ensure the sustainability of its publishing and program ministries. The primary responsibility is to create and execute a strategic plan that identifies, cultivates, and solicits a select group of donors and prospects who have the capacity and willingness to invest in our work by making a significant gift of $5000 or more.
The position works in collaboration with the development team and senior leadership to define objectives, set key results, and implement an effective, well-rounded fundraising program that contributes to the wellbeing and financial health of the organization. Writes, speaks, and educates clearly about the mission/vision of The Upper Room and funding opportunities.
Develops and executes compelling donor cultivation plans that generate a desire to invest in our work and to ultimately give large financial gifts. Serves with program staff to facilitate the annual plan and major gift program for The Academy for Spiritual Formation and Emmaus Ministries. Offers leadership and guidance with volunteer development committees. Designs online and in person events and facilitates activities and visitations to grow relationships and deepen engagement with major gift prospects.
- Creates and executes a strategic plan with goals and objectives that identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards donors and prospective contributors for major gifts in all ranges. This includes managing a portfolio of 100-150 individuals/families who have the willingness and capacity to give significant outright gifts to The Upper Room.
- Serves as the primary staff in preparing custom-designed donor cultivation plans that invite major gifts. Documents all substantive contacts in a timely manner by using the tools and applications made available by the organization. Writes and speaks clearly about giving opportunities and the mission/vision of The Upper Room.
- Plans and schedules online and in person visits and events with individuals and/or donor groups to keep them engaged and interested in our work. Interacts with donors and prospects (as well as their legal and financial advisors) to secure and receive gifts. Promotes planned giving options and responds to inquiries related to bequests and endowments.
- Works with Publisher, senior leadership, and development team (staff and volunteer committees) to coordinate contacts and solicitation efforts to enhance major gift activities.
- Establishes budget and financial goals in coordination with the Executive Director of Development and the organization’s needs. Is mission-minded, donor centric, and results driven.
- Serves as a creative, productive member of the development team to define overall objectives, set key results, and implement an effective, well-rounded fund-raising program that contributes to the wellbeing and financial health of the organization.
- Establishes and builds relationships with The Academy for Spiritual Formation and Emmaus Ministries leaders, participants, and other persons who are interested in program sustainability and charitable giving
- Develops recognition and donor loyalty programs as appropriate; writes acknowledgement letters; serves with an abundance of gratitude and grace; coordinates publicity and logistical arrangements on special programs or events/retreats relating to major gifts.
Education – BS or BA degree in philanthropy, public relations, non-profit management, communication, or related field.
Other Specialized Knowledge/Experience – Fundraising, planned giving, communications and event planning, marketing, theology, nonprofit business principles. Three to five years of related experience. Demonstrated ability to acquire gifts of $5,000 and more. Knowledge of DonorPerfect, Donor Search, Thankview, and other online applications is plus.
Benefits Include: PTO, Paid Holidays, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Vision Insurance, Dental Insurance, Retirement Plan with Match
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Deadline to apply is 12/31/2022
- Date Posted: November 29, 2022
- Type: Full-Time
- Job Function: Fundraising / Revenue Development
- Service Area: Religious
- Salary Range: $53,000 - $56,000
- Working Hours: M-F