Homeless Community Shower Bus Coordinator – AmeriCorps Member
Hands On Nashville
The Homeless Community Shower Bus Coordinator participates in a yearlong term of AmeriCorps service (1,700 hours) supporting Shower The People’s (STP) mission to providing mobile showers and hygiene resources to individuals in need in Nashville. The Coordinator is responsible for managing volunteers, inventory, and data collection. The Coordinator engages with individuals experiencing homelessness daily in this boots-on-the-ground role.
The ideal candidate is highly motivated to help those experiencing homelessness, able to lead volunteers, and can effectively communicate with both staff and those served by Shower The People.
The Coordinator serves as part of a 23-person cohort of civic-minded individuals who receive skills training, professional development, and networking opportunities as part of the HON AmeriCorps Program.
- Work with Founder at Shower Service to increase capacity and efficiencies
- Create and implement an inventory management system
- Manage volunteers at shower services
- Manage community engagement volunteer activities at schools, businesses, and in the warehouse
- Data collection (of volunteer and shower guests)
- Participate in volunteer outreach at local universities
- Operate/drive shower or laundry trailer to shower service
- Participate in cold weather outreach (during winter months only
HON builds capacity for individuals and agencies to meet needs through volunteerism. The HON AmeriCorps Program is made possible through support from the Dan and Margaret Maddox Fund, Volunteer Tennessee, and participating AmeriCorps host organizations.
About Shower the People
Shower The People in providing mobile showers and hygiene resources to individuals in need in Nashville.
AmeriCorps is a voluntary public service program where members commit their time to address critical community needs. Learn more about AmeriCorps here.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds regularly and work inside and outside throughout the year
- Able to carry out tasks independently as well as thrive as part of a team
- Comfortable driving a truck with trailer.
- Experience engaging with people experiencing homelessness
- Energized by learning and problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to fulfill a one-year term of service (August 17, 2020-August 8, 2021)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid driver’s license and reliable access to transportation (Members will be reimbursed for service-related mileage.)
- U.S. Citizenship
- National Service Criminal History Check clearance
HON does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, or other factors which deny the essential humanity of all people.
- Living allowance of $17,000, paid bi-weekly throughout the term of service
- Education award of $6,095, applicable to student loans and/or future education expenses at an accredited institution, upon fulfillment of service obligations
- Healthcare coverage, if elected
- Childcare benefits, if eligible
- Professional development training and ample networking opportunities
How to Apply
Apply online at my.americorps.gov by July 30th. For more information, please contact:
Nicki Avila email@example.com
- Date Posted: June 16, 2020
- Type: VISTA / AmeriCorps
- Job Function: Educator
- Service Area: Community Development
- Start Date: 08/17/2020
- Working Hours: 35-40 hrs/wk; M-F, 8:00am - 4:30pm